Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Physical button problem on mitel phones series 53xx when answering

Status
Not open for further replies.

jesus.resilux

Programmer
Mar 1, 2022
ES
Hi everyone,

anyone knows if there is any solution for the physical problem on mitel phone for the series 53xx? The button is not released at all when you try to answer and due to this the call is nto answered until you manually release the button.

I think Mitel has solved this in newest phone series (6xxx), but as far as I know there is no workaround for old terminals.

Thanks in advance.

Jesus

If I am understanding you correctly, crack it open and see if there is a spring under the hookswitch.

If so, take it out and flex it open a bit.

Hi

Thanks for your answer. This is what I did, but after two weeks we have the same problem again. So this fix is just for a few days only.

Any other workaround?

Thanks

Make sure the parts are clean of obstructions

Other than that, no

Sorry - what is the problem here? I've read this a few times over, but I don't understand what the issue is with 5300 series endpoints?

Hi TheMitelGuy

The problem is that when the phone is ringing and the user takes the headset to answer, the phone keep going ringing until the user release manually the button otherwise the phone is still ringing.

Thanks

If the user uses a headset, the user can answer the phone by pressing the line key with the handset still on the IP set.
The headset must be connected to the headset port on the IP set, and a headset key must be programmed and activated.

Can you just confirm the HANDSET is plugged into the HANDSET port and not the HEADSET port? This will often do this in this exact situation. The handset has to be plugged into the handset port and not the headset port.

Hi

Thanks for you answer. Yes, we have up to 50 phones and all the handsets are connected properly. Many of them only have handset, so there is no way to be wrong.

Thanks

I've read this entire thread over and over and I'm failing to see the problem - although I understand you have a problem. I can assure you there is no issues with the 5300 series sets, even though they will be MD'd in the coming months.

Can you perhaps list out steps, as the user takes them, one-by-one when you have this issue happen? Perhaps start from the point where the user is on the last call, how do they hang-up (i.e. what are they pressing?). Then the phone hangs up and the user waits for the next call. What happens when it rings and you go to answer it? If you can list those steps out (although daunting), we will be sure to figure-out what is going on. It has to work - it's working on literally hundreds of thousands of systems globally.

Thanks

headset might have been activated on them - you can do that via a code ( or button if they have one)

check locate feature extension XXXX

this has caused us some issues in the past

If I never did anything I'd never done before , I'd never do anything.....

Hi, thanks once more for all of your answers.

There is nothing special on the procedure that a user follow to answer a phone call
1) Phone start ringing.
2) User takes the handset to answer the call.
3) The phone is still ringing and the call is not answered yet.
4) The user has to release manually the button (the one which is pressed by the hand set) from inside to outside and from this momment on the call is released.
5) To finish the call the user place again the handset on its place, and by doing this the call is finished.

As simple as that. That´s all, there is not headsewt, there is not special button to release or make calls.

Thanks

Jesus

Okay - we almost to the point where we can solve this. Can you please provide me clarification on this step - something is not adding up...

"4) The user has to release manually the button (the one which is pressed by the hand set) from inside to outside and from this momment on the call is released."

Questions:
1) What do you mean "the user has to release manually the button"?? You can't "release" buttons. You can press them or not. Buttons can light up, flash or be dark/off. In no way can you "release the button." so that's why I'm getting confused there.

2) What do you mean by "he one which is pressed by the hand set"? I thought there was no headset involved in this situation? Now I'm a bit confused if you are using headsets as well or no?

3) Can you confirm which phone system you are using? Mitel 3300 ICP, Mitel MiVoice Business, MiVoice Office 250? I don't know which market you are in, so I'm just listing out the phone systems I would assume you to have. This is important as functionality for 5300 series sets can vary depend on the controller type and it's available COS/phone settings.

4) How many phones are experiencing this issue and how many phones do you have in total? Is it just one phone or is it more than that - that's what I'm trying to figure-out here.

I apologize for so many questions and asking for clarification, but it's not like I can talk with you over the phone and get a clearer understanding. If you can respond back to these two final questions, I should be able to give you a diagnoses and tell you exactly what needs to be done. We will get it to work for you.

Talk to you soon! We will get this solved for you right here very shortly. Just an FYI - I'm out on Tuesday the 15-MAR-2022, but I will try and check Tuesday evening or on Wednesday.

Hi

Thanks for you answer once more. These are the answers.
1) What do you mean "the user has to release manually the button"?? You can't "release" buttons. You can press them or not. Buttons can light up, flash or be dark/off. In no way can you "release the button." so that's why I'm getting confused there.
I am not talking about the buttons of the phone, but the bit round button which is pressed by the handset when it is placed on the phone and the one which is released when the handset is removed from the phone. This round button is not released at all so we need to move it out manually to be able to speak.

2) What do you mean by "he one which is pressed by the hand set"? I thought there was no headset involved in this situation? Now I'm a bit confused if you are using headsets as well or no?
round button where the handset is placed.

3) Can you confirm which phone system you are using? Mitel 3300 ICP, Mitel MiVoice Business, MiVoice Office 250? I don't know which market you are in, so I'm just listing out the phone systems I would assume you to have. This is important as functionality for 5300 series sets can vary depend on the controller type and it's available COS/phone settings.
these are the models : 5330, 5320, 5340 mainly.

4) How many phones are experiencing this issue and how many phones do you have in total? Is it just one phone or is it more than that - that's what I'm trying to figure-out here.
We have up to 50 phones, and we have this issue in many of them. (around 80% of them are affected)

Thanks a lot for you help

Regards

sounds like its a physical switch issue
perhaps spring is faulty
there was a KMS article for a different range
Answer
If the Series 8000 digital endpoint mechanical hook switch does not pop instantly into place when the hook switch is taken off-hook. Adjust the screw a quarter turn counter-clockwise, and check the hook switch again. Repeat this until the hook switch pops or snaps to its full upright position when it is released. Should this adjustment require you to loosen the screw by more than 1 complete turn, contact Inter-Tel for a replacement endpoint.

Thanks, I will open a phone and I will try to do this adjustments. Also clean a bit the contacts.

Thanks a lot for all of your answers.

Jesus

How many phones are having this issue? If it is just the one, then yes, I will say it's a faulty hook-switch issue and hence replace it.
If it's more than one, than we are looking at something entirely different.

Clever men learns what Wise men shares!

i checked a 5340 i have here - there is no screw to adjust , the "sping" for the hookswitch is a u shaped steel piece.
if thats removed then the hookswitch stays down , if there isnt mush spring on it then the hookswitch doenst lift properly
might be a faulty batch if lots are showing the same symptoms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back