Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PHP

Status
Not open for further replies.

solace

Programmer
Feb 11, 2003
CA
Hi Can anyone help me?

I am a PHP beginner and have only played with it a little bit at school. I want to do a website using php scripts and I have no clue what software i will need or how to get started. If anyone can help me that would be great.

I am using XP professional on my system

Thanx

If you want do development of your site at home, then you will need PHP itself ( ) , some good web server, for exemple Apache (most of hosting providers use it ), and if your site will use database then you will need database too (MySQL for exemple ).
And you will need read tutorials how to install all this software :)

There used to be PHPTriad which went defunct in 2002. It has been picked up and is called Sokkit now. But they started to charge money for three free products:

You can get the last version of PHPTriad and then upgrade.
But there are is good documentation how to install PHP/Apache/MySQL.

EasyPHP is also not bad for beginners - if you get along with a little French:

My suggestion is the same as above, get and install apache
configure if nescarry(read the documtentation)

install php
configure if nescarry(read the documtentation)

if you are doing this at school im shure your teacher will
be avle to advise you if you have any problems. If it is
possible I would suggest using linux. from my understanding
php was GNU's answer to microsofts "asp" and from alot of
opinions I have read has left asp for dead (I have never
asp so I cant comment).

skottieb:)

I used to use FoxServ ( before I installed things myself (which I recommend if you don't mind getting your hands dirty). I also recommend finding an editor other than Notepad if you haven't already. I personally use the freeware version of Notetab found at Notetab has plugins for php and mysql that can help you with your development. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back