Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

php.ini .....read only

Status
Not open for further replies.

shamrox

Programmer
Sep 27, 2001
US
I'm trying to make a change to the php.ini file. Mac OS X installation.
I have found the file through Terminal, opened it in text edit and go to save, but it says file is READ-ONLY.
How do I change it so I can save the file???

Also, being a newbie to TERMINAL and Mac's...how do I use the FINDER to navigate to this place ---> /usr/local/php5/

man chmod

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

You are not the owner of the file and/or directory it is in. You need to become root using "su" or "sudo" or log in as root.

Or ask your sysadmin.

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

Yeah, I'm the sysadmin...and a newbie to mac, so that's why i'm clueless

Well, I'm afraid you have, at least, to read some Getting started manual.

Hope This Helps, PH.

when I do su it asks for password. i type one. it says sorry...

As you are the sysadmin you have to know which password you assigned to the superuser (root) account.

Hope This Helps, PH.

That's what i was keying in.

When you say root account, you mean for the mac right?

I mean for the super user all *nix flavors have.

Hope This Helps, PH.

OSX runs a BSD Unix derivative on a Mach kernel, so it *has* a root account. In unix operating systems root is the name commonly given to the special account with user ID 0.

When checking permissions on files and processes the kernel checks first if the userid is 0, if it is then it grants access for the operation. If the userid is not 0, then the kernel compares the UID with the permissions of the process or file.

I've never installed OSX, but either there is a default password for root (very insecure) or it asked you for a password for the root account and you just don't remember it.

There is a utility called "sudo" that may be installed on the system. IF it is installed and IF your account has been granted access to use it and IF you have permission to use a given "command" THEN typing 'sudo command' will first prompt you for *your* password, not roots, then it will run the command with root permission.

If it is not installed or you do not have permission and you do not know the root password, then you are fuqued.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back