Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PHP hosting recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dweezel

Technical User
Feb 12, 2004
GB
Hi all. I put the post bellow into the PHP forum, and I thought I'd post it here as well incase anyone has any recommendations:

I'm getting racked off with my hosting provider! The way that they've got php configured seriously limits what I can do with my scripts. The worst of it being no upload_tmp_dir setting in the php.ini, which seriously limits any file uploading I can do.

PHP settings aside though, the reason I chose this hosting company are that they are cheap and reliable. I have a small reseller account with them (5 sites). For each site I get 500MB of web space, 5 mysql databases and 10GB of bandwidth (That's 50GB altogether!) and for this I pay $90 US.

I think the price is impossible to match, but I'm hoping someone on here can prove me wrong. I'm looking for a similar deal as the above, but with php settings that are less annoying (especially those pertaining to file uploads).

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Cheers.

Have you tried hosting overseas?
I host with a nz company, and pay $39 nzd (about $20us now I think) for resellers hosting. (unlimited pop3, databases, etc)
are reliable, friendly, and I have had great service from them.

As for US service, I have heard about the bad ones, and the terrible free ones, but no one has ever said anything good about hosting in a reasonable price bracket.
Having said that, theres nothing like google :)

Sometimes, when my code just won't behave, I take it outside and make it listen to britney spears music, and when it comes back it's really well behaved. I wonder if it's suffering from post tramatic stress syndrome now..

I've had a lot of success hosting with based in the UK. Their tech support is really responsive - and they have many plans (in the lower end) that sit well "with the wallet".

I currently have about 5 clients hosting with them now.

Jeff

I've been using GlobalHost for a couple of years and am quite pleased. No, they do not have a $8.00 plan that has unlimited everything. But they do have plans that, for around $200 per year, will give you everything you need in the way of web hosting. Their customer service is excellent, they have installed just about every perl module known to man and if they don't have it, they'll install it free of charge.

There's always a better way. The fun is trying to find it!

I am using and am very happy with it! 99 bucks per year for unlimited storage, Mysql databases, email accounts, etc. It is hosted on a Unix FreeBSD server. Very stable!

Thanks to everyone that replied to the thread, but it turns out that I don't need a new host. I've figured a way around the temporary file problem with PHP.

Thanks though for your suggestions. I'll be keeping this thread bookmarked in case I have any more trouble with them.
Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back