Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PHP Editors

Status
Not open for further replies.

WJProctor

Programmer
Jun 20, 2003
GB
Hi, bit annoyed cos im at college and want to edit some pages ive created. At the mo im doing it using note pad but this isnt that good because it doesnt give line numbers or anything. Does anyone know of any ways i can get round this, such as online editors or something a vb script that i can run at college in vb. Maybe its just something im going to have to stick with.

Regards

JP

skiflyer:

I'm bogggled....... that PC/Caffine Machine can't be real..... surely....

That's just too mad....

I want one....

howsabout Dreamweaver? its not free... and u can also add on MySql front (it may be out of this forum but it helps...)

Known is handfull, Unknown is worldfull

I've found that JCreator ( works as a great all-purpose text editor. Although designed for java, javascript, it support html and can display PHP and CSS with line numbers (probably the most helpful attribute). I've been very happy using it, and it's free! :)

Crimson Editor is fantastic. Bright colouring and a large host of features! You can download it at for free.

Hope this helps.

Reality is built on a foundation of dreams.

Nobody has mentioned TextPad. I use this to edit HTML, PERL, PHP as well as plain text. It has customisable highlighting and all sorts of things.

It has a free trial period, and after that expires it just asks you to buy it everytime you load, but still fully functional.

I highly recommend this.

just thought I'd add in, notepad in XP has a status bar which will show line numbers. I've copied the notepad.exe from my XP machine to my 2000 machine and I use that for editing HTML, PHP etc.

Just thought I'd throw in my $0.02 worth !!

I use Textpad for windows. Very good as you can configure (or download the addon) it to colour code your php script.
Also support opening multiple documents at once and of couse the all important line numbers :D
Downloadable at: Shareware though, but its only 1 small dialog box every so often... nothing disbaled.

I use PHP expert editor....

"This is a tool for writing, editing, and debugging PHP scripts and HTML pages. It has an internal browser, a debugger, a built-in FTP client and customizable code templates."

it's shareware and can be downloaded from

TextPad for windows
nedit for *nix

Both have syntax highlighting (with the appropriate syntax files). No running or debugging, however. Light, fast, just was a text editor should be/do.

We are using the "Visual Slickeditor".
For typing code it is a very good one!

Michelle.

I recently discovered Weaverslave, and it's a great editor. Free, too.

Call me crazy, but I use:
* textpad (rarely)
* dreamweaver (more rarely)
* cuteftp pro's edit function (most of the time)
* ssh -> pico (maybe 20-30% of the time).

I find it's easy to use the ftp-clients editor, if you can use some kind of syntax coloring. I then define coloring->Perl

Only one thing is very annoying with using the editor in cuteftp pro: when I type:
<?php[CR] (the enter key)

it then transelates <?php into: <--! or something like that..

I might remember wrong what it transelates it to, but it transelates it to something :p

Even so, I still find that I dont need anything else than line-numbers, as I'm good with indenting and code-commenting. I dont need the fancy colors.

Olav Alexander Mjelde
Admin & Webmaster

You're crazy.

Happy now?

Actually.. I started out in that boat, then I got spoiled with emacs and the syntax coloring and auto-indenting (nice for when you make changes and don't want to hand re-indent a bunch of lines)

-- For Sleipnir to add to the FAQ if he likes --

And now, that someone else is footing the bill, I'm really won over by Zend Studio, at least for the big jobs.

It's still easier for me to pop open a simple text editor for alot of scripts, but for my projects with 50+ files and 10's of thousands of lines, the IDE really pays off in time saved.

The debugger is quite nice as well for some of those hard to track down problems when you just don't feel like footprinting all your code to find the specific problem.

It's not perfect, there are certainly changes I would make to it if I had the chance, but it's a very nice tool, and quickly becoming invaluable to me on my larger projects. Not to mention the fact that I spend alot less time at php.net determining the argument order for rarely used functions as it tells me straight away what to do.

I've heard Maguma Studios is good. But I always use TextPad. There's tons of user submitted color-coding patterns, so you just choose the one you like best, and you can customize any of those to make your own, too.

Rick

I've just started using Notepad++, and I'm thoroughly impressed with it.

One thing I noticed instantly is that it is fast. The default syntax colorings are nice, and easily editable. The Brace and Indent guideline Highlighting feature is simple invaluable. Screenshots:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back