Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PHP Editors

Status
Not open for further replies.

WJProctor

Programmer
Jun 20, 2003
GB
Hi, bit annoyed cos im at college and want to edit some pages ive created. At the mo im doing it using note pad but this isnt that good because it doesnt give line numbers or anything. Does anyone know of any ways i can get round this, such as online editors or something a vb script that i can run at college in vb. Maybe its just something im going to have to stick with.

Regards

JP

I take it you're using Windows??

I edit my PHP with gPHPEdit for linux and it's ok, crashes occasionally but generally ok....

I'd recommend just searching the net for a php editor....I'm sure you'll find loads....

or...saved you the time.... just click below and there's loads to choose from....

And I use emacs with php major mode.

You have about a zillion options. TextPad is another one which will be recommended sooner or later.

-Rob

I use Edit+ but there is no real case to be made against any of the recommended editors.

i use NoteTab Light (sorry just thought i would get on the band waggon).

To err is human, to completely mess up takes a computer. [morning]

This question's answer sounds like something that definately needs to be in a FAQ.

I'll create the FAQ, if that's all right with everyone.

If everyone would, please post editor names and URLs where they can be found. If a particular editor is platform specific (like mine, UltraEdit. It's only Win32), add that, too.

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions: TANSTAAFL!!

Emacs itself... (for all platforms)

Paying special attention to (For Win32)

And to make it worthwhile to use with PHP (though I'll admit I'm a few versions back so I can't vouch for this particular link)

I won't even get into what this program includes, it's a mini-city of features... including the infamous built in psychiatrist and time wasting ascii games!
-Rob

gPHPEdit, check.
UltraEdit, check.
Editplus, check.
emacs, check.

skiflyer:
And with emacs you also have access to, I believe, an esspresso machine, air traffic control hotlines, tire balancing, and the ubiquitous kitchen sink, right?

gvim will make a good job, but it's multi-buffer support is quite a pain to deal with.

//Daniel

I've been using HTMLKit for a while. Has the ability to provide line numbers, previews and creat plugins. You can get it at It's about a 3MB download.

Get my vote.

Oops.

Thanks also to os400, danielhozac, skiflyer, DRJ478, and Spout.

All of your recommendations (with attributions) are in the FAQ.

csniffer:
I did not include your suggestion for Notetab Light as I did not know how serious your post was.

my post for Note Tab was Very serious, it shows line numbers will do a bit of the html for u and has an addin for php that has the same affect as the html (will write the code for u but never used it so don’t know how good it is) but does not highlight code. It is available for any win OS and can be obtained at
To err is human, to completely mess up takes a computer. [morning]

csniffer:
I've added NoteTab Light.

All:
I've renamed the FAQ to a more-appropriate "Member-suggested PHP editors". Please let me know of any constructive criticisms of the FAQ you may have.

faq434-4252

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back