Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PhotShop Data Wrap - TIFF Files 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgierach

MIS
Dec 10, 2004
US
Hi there!
The graphics deaprtment I oversee (I am the IT guy) is experiencing some issues with various "data wrap". To me it is noise that is appearing only in some TIFF files that they are opening. This is a totally random thing, and the lines that appear in the images do move around the image as you move the image or just reopen it. I was wondering if anybody else has seen this issue and what they may have done to fix it? Thank you.

wow i never heard of "data wrap"...tell me more.

does the suspected tiff have the same problem on all PC's.
does the suspected tiff always show the same symtoms.
have PShop preferrences been reset
etc.

I would try 2 zero in on the cause maybe Google or Adobe site 2 look for some of the symtoms.

sounds to me like it might be a video card problem!?

Kind Regards
Duncan

The multiple TIFFs that this happens to are not affected on all PCs, but there is no rhyme or reason to which PC it is. One time it could work on a particular PC and then the next time it is containing the lines through the image. The lines don't stay in one place and reappear in several locations. We have been down the route of video card issues in the past for this problem, and the cards are all good. I have verified it is not a network bandwidth issue by recreating the problem with the file stored locally and straight from the client CD. Unfortunately, Adobe only says that this happens when you have the Async plug-in enabled, well we don't even have that plug in loaded up on the systems. I ran through a Google of the issue and this is where I wind up as far as the best resources I might have. The hardware is all good, and the network is fine with the graphics department on a 4GB backbone and each work station having full gigabit to their desktop. Like I said, there is just no rhyme or reason to this. Thanks for the suggestions!

does the video card share the system memory?

Kind Regards
Duncan

are all the machines that have this problem all have the same video card? and why do you mention TIFF - once the picture is loaded into Photoshop it no longer has a picture format - it is then native to Photoshop whilst in memory - surely?

Kind Regards
Duncan

We are running ATI Radeon9200SE cards with 128MB RAM on them. They do share the memory with the system. Each system contains 2GB of RAM and is running a 2.8GHz P4 processor with Hyperthreading enabled. All systems are running WinXP Pro and the Adobe CS2 Suite.

please post a list of the PC's components - a colleague of mine tells me he has seen this before

Kind Regards
Duncan

Sorry, I am not a PhotoShop expert. I say they are TIFF files because that is what format they were sent to us. If the file becomes native to PhotoShop when you open it, I was not aware of it being an IT person and not a graphics person. All hardware is posted to the forum now, and yes, all machines are identical in hardware except for one mainboard which is the same manufacturer, but a slightly different revision of the same board (just about 2 months older than the other 3 systems).

Sorry mgierach

Regarding the TIFF files - my point is this... if you convert them to an EPS, for example, does the problem go away? If it does then you could just convert each file before you start. If it doesn't - then it isn't a file format problem

Kind Regards
Duncan

Well - i've been reading about all sorts of issues with 9200se's. It appears they are a pretty cheap card and many people have been experiencing problems... especially playing games

type 'ATI radeon 9200se problems' in Google

one person managed to solve their problem by tightening his ground connection outside his building!

I am convinced this is a video card problem

Kind Regards
Duncan

I tend to agree with duncdude it definitely seems to act like a video card issue.

Have you checked to see if there are adjustments that can be altered, e.g. control panel > display > settings > advanced > etc.? Maybe change the refresh rate or hardware acceleration or something like that, just remember what they currently are before you make any changes.

A star to duncdude for perseverance.

I don't think this is a video card issue as I have had similar cards with the NVIDIA chipset in the machines in the past. We went the ATI route after this first happened with the NVIDIA card, but I am willing to give anything a try and will replace that video card again in the next day or so and let you know. I have also tried changing all of the settings with no luck. Thanks for the thoughts guys!!!

thank you very much mcallisto - i hope we can resolve his problem

Kind Regards
Duncan

Sorry, I have been prety tied up with this among many other things. As of now, we have not resolved the issue. My next step is to swap out the mainboard on the system as it is the only difference in the system compared to our other machines. I am hoping that solves things, but if not I will be sure to post here again. Thanks for all the suggestions!!!!

Hi mgierach

Thanks for the reply - just a bit confused about one thing

You mentioned:-
The multiple TIFFs that this happens to are not affected on all PCs, but there is no rhyme or reason to which PC it is.

And now:-
My next step is to swap out the mainboard on the system as it is the only difference in the system compared to our other machines.

... i.e. is it happening on more than one machine (earlier post) or ONLY on one machine (most recent post)

Kind Regards
Duncan

This is happening on only one machine. All the other machines are identical, except the fact that this one machine has an earlier revision of the mainboard. Other than that one difference, the systems are completely identical with hardware.

I see

I have to admit - right up until your last post - i thought this was happening on random machines ... no rhyme or reason to which PC it is

Now you mention it is only on one machine i have to agree with you that the difference - the main board - in the offending machine, HAS to be the way forward

Good luck

Kind Regards
Duncan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back