Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Photoshop stopped working. HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

floriauck

Technical User
Jul 2, 2004
US
hello,

A few days ago I turned off my computer at night, and the next day my Adobe Photoshop 7.0 didnt work anymore. I use a Windows XP on my laptop.

Here is what happens. When I click the PS icon the regular photoshop screen comes up and I see the "scanning for Plugins, fonts, etc" and right before the program usually starts, it disappears. I looked in the task-manager (ctrl+at+del) and the program is not running in the background.

what did I do so far:
1.) First i ran scan disk, some reg-tools with norton, some clean up tools - didnt help
2.) uninstalled the software - didnt help
3.) installed the software to my external harddrive - same results.

now i am totally stuck - have no idea what the problem could be. My photoshop worked for a year now, with no problems. Generally I dont have many problems with my computer.

Any help is really appreaciated since I need my PS for work.
Thanks a lot,

Florian

It might be a corrupt font on your system. Try removing most of them and if it works, replace them a few at a time until you isolate the offending item.

thanks for the tip.. that could be it! i will try that right away ...

Did you try resetting your preference files, Immediately after starting Photoshop hold down the ctrl, alt & shift key then select yes. If a preference file is corrupt it will not be replaced even if photoshop is reinstalled. There is a Faq on the subject with more details.

Let us know if this helps, if not we'll keep trying.

the re-installation finally worked... i also used some reg-clean tools, erased the fonts, scan disk, and some more ..

thanks for all the help,
florian

How do you reset the preferences on a mac... I have tried the fonts and a reinstall with no luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back