Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Photoshop image sizes are smaller than the window on my desktop shows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linnybh

Technical User
Apr 3, 2002
US
Hi, the image size that shows in my photoshop document, when I go to 'image size' is MUCH smaller than when I check the image size, by looking at the list of documents on my desktop. For example, I needed to make an image down to 35K, and according to my desktop information, it said it was at 48K, but it looked like a mess, like green blob, the pixels were so huge. But when I checked the image size within photoshop, it was only 2K... This discrepancy is true in all my image information on my desktop to the image info from photoshop, what is wrong? btw, I believe that the image size that I am shown within photoshop is correct and that it must be something with my desktop.

thank you!

Lindsay [ponytails2]

There are a couple of possibilities here. Let's start with possible reasons the file size outside of PS is larger that what it shows in PS.

Is the file flattened? Are there multiple layers? Are there any Alpha channels? Are there any paths? What color mode is being used? What DPI is being used? What file format is the graphic being saved in? How is the file being saved?

Now with all of those questions, hopefully something will pop up that causes us to go "Oh Yeah!".

In almost all cases, your file size within PS should be larger that outside PS. However if you save the file in certain ways it can cause you file to be appear larger outside PS.

If the image is being saved for the web, use the 'Save for Web' option. This will flatten and remove all of the non prtinent information that PS saves with the files (such as thumbnails, layers, paths, etc).

Always go by the Document Size box at the lower left corner of the screen (Windows) or the image window (Mac OS) in PS when in doubt. The first (left) value indicates the size of the file if flattened. The second (right) value shows the estimated file size of the unflattened file, including any layers and channels.

Good luck,
Greg B

Hi Greg, thank you for your reply, I just saved an image as a 22K gif and used 'Save for Web', and both the left and right value read 22K.. however, when I look at the document through my finder, the size shows up as 597K, grossly larger than within photoshop... any additional suggestions? :) thank you! [ponytails2]

Can you post the image somewhere so we can take a look at it? I for one would be interested in seeing this and probably could be of more help once I do.

Another possibility is the way your hard disk stores files. Generally, there is a minimum amount of hard disk space used up for files no matter how small they are. You mention finder, so I presume you're using a Mac.... click once on the file in finder, then go to File > Get Info... (or just press command+i). This will give you the both the file size and the amount of disk space being used. However, 597k seems a little bit too excessive. Could it possibly be 597 bytes instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back