Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Photoshop icon problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

denbigh97

Programmer
Dec 26, 2002
US
I just uninstalled Photoshop 4, and installed Photoshop 7. For some odd reason, the JPG files on my desktop show a PSD icon instead of the JPG icon that I selected in Windows folder options. I've already tried using TweakUI, didn't fix the problem. Anyone can help me on this? Thanks!

Is there ant Preference option in Photoshop 7 that you can select and make it the default opening program for JPG's?

I looked through the Preferences in Photoshop, and I don't see anything about making it the default program for JPGs. Right now, when I double click any image file, it does open in Photoshop. It's just that every image file has the PSD icon, which is very annoying.

Try this tip which I copied from an old post.

"Bob2 (Programmer) Nov 4, 2002
Hi

I've had some trouble with corrupt icons on my win xp pro sp1 machine. After much search on the web I finaly found that one where supposed to delete the IconCache located in C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ USERNAME\LOCAL SETTINGS\APPLICATION DATA\IconCache.db (where USERNAME is your account name)
Once you have deleted that file start up TweakUI for win xp and choose to rebuild icons. Next time you start Win Xp the file you previously deleted is now rebuilt and this worked wonderfull for me.

I just wanted to share this tip to others who might have the same problem."

If no luck with the above.

Normally you would use the following method method via the Edit File Type option.

Folder Options/ File Types (Select your file type eg. Jpg)/ Advanced/ Change Icon.

Click to change the icon that is associated with this file type.

linney, I just did what bob2 posted, and it did not work. I've also gone into Folder Options, and all the icons for JPGs, GIFs, and others are correct. But Windows is still displaying the PSD icon for all my images. I think I have to tweak the registry to fix this problem. However, I have no idea what key within the registry to edit.

linney, i followed the directions on the google forum, and it worked! thank you so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back