Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Photoshop Freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.

twistedfrog

Programmer
Apr 18, 2006
US
Hey guys,

I am having an extremely annoying technical problem. My photoshop and illustrator are freezing for no apparent reason. I use the program for a while and then it locks up, requiring a CTRL-ALT-DEL. Doesn't matter how big the file is. I tried dumping my preferences and using the defaults and I increased the scratch disk size. Then I even gave the program its own 20 gig harddrive to use as a scratch disk. No help.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

I am using PS 7.0 and Win XP.

I've got a 4mhz processor and 1.5 gigs of ram. it is definite;y not an issue of not enough hardware to support it.

Would there be a specific hardware conflict going on?

4mhz?? I presume you meant gigahz?

When it 'freezes', is there heavy disk I/O? If so, you may want to give it more time.

Yeah I meant ghz. Slip of the keys.

Time does not allow it to unlock. I've actually run this same version of PS7 on slower machines with much greater success. The CPU usage appears to be normal, and any other programs I may have running (mp3 player or aim or whatever) function perfectly normal.

Any idea?s?

Had the same thing happen - sometimes when scanning lots of images directly into Photoshop. I use Window Washer - every so often I run it, it clears the Temp areas (scratch disk). Can also go into the Temp and manually delete. Restarting Photoshop does the same thing.

When not scanning and working on lots of files - I have some extremely large files with scratch disks larger than yours - two in external hard drives. Remember all the history states - change in Preferences - that can have an effect. Also - just yesterday - seemed to freeze when I'd been working on an image, used Magic Wand continuous - finally processed. I didn't clear mem and next operation it froze. So clearing the Temp area and minimizing the number of history states works for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back