Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Photoshop EPS files printing low res

Status
Not open for further replies.

artman62

Technical User
May 7, 2004
US
Has anyone had this problem?

I Open Quark 4.11 files in Quark 6.1 with linked Photoshop EPS files. I print them to my RIP and they are low res. It is obvious that the eps data is not getting printed because the postscript files are only 2 megs and the Photoshop images are 50 - 100 megs.

I have tried:
Unchecking OPI active.
Unchecking OPI for each image in Usage/pictures
Deleting the image and replacing it.
Pictures: Normal
Data: ASCII, Binary, Clean 8-bit ( same result on all)

If I resave the Photoshop eps as a tif and replace it, the image prints fine. I would just like to find out what is going on.

I'm on a PC with Windows XP Pro.

Sounds like you don't have a PostScript printer. If you don't, bring it to someone who does and it will print fine.

Hi,

I've had a similar problem. I have tif files which print low res and they are 300dpi and three times the size I am printing them at!

It is driving me mad!

I thought i'd fixed the problem by resaving the files with a different name and re-importing them into Quark but they look low res on screen and print that way. I did it about four times and somehow i thought i got a better result when I created a pdf file but when i sent it to the printers they called me up and told me i had low res files on my pages!

I don't know how to fix the problem but assume it's Quark 6 as i have not encounted this problem with any other versions.

I don't have a postscript printer but create a postscript file before making my pdf file through Acrobat distiller, so I don't think that is the problem.

any other suggestions?

Actually, the printer is postscript. It prints a postscript file to a postscript RIP. But, I found on Friday it does the exact same thing if I print to my Adobe PDF driver. The resulting PDF has a low res image regardless of the settings of the PDF driver.

I had the issue with 6.0. It is the same with 6.1. It does not do it in 4.11.

It is obvious to me that it is sending the preview header in the postscript code instead of the actual eps code.

Artman62,

Have you figured this out? Any Idea why Quark is sending the preview header in the postscript code instead of the actual eps code? I am having the same problem.
Win2kPro Quark4.1 HP LaserJet4 with PostScript.

Give me a shout if you've gotten around this one.

JMinton

The format of the TIFF file might be too recent for Quark to understand. There are many versions of TIFF as far as I understand. Try backsaving the file if possible to an older version?

Kind Regards
Duncan

Make sure that in Print menu under Options tab your "Full Resolution TIFF Output" option is checked.

Jane

Thank you folks for the quick reply. I have sorted this out. As I am using .EPS files I don't need to worry about .TIFF versions or full resolution TIFF output. I am using a Postscript printer which prints .EPS files just fine. The problem was quark was sending the printer ASCII
data instead of BINARY which is the encoding I used for the .EPS files. I switched to BINARY and my blood pressure went down.

Thanks again.

That's interesting. I tried saving my .EPS files as Binary,
ASCII, and Clean8bit. I had the same result on all three - low res.

The problem with binary .EPS files is that when you are writing a Postscript file to disk to be read by a RIP, they sometimes are not read correctly.

I agree. There can be RIPping errors now and then.
Maybe try this; [Assuming you are using Photoshop to save your EPS files]
1.Save As Photoshop EPS
2.Under EPS options choose TIFF 8 bits/pixel [this is for the preview only so no need to print Full Resolution TIFF Output at print time]
3. Choose JPEG (Maximum Quality)
4.NO Halftone screen, NO Transfer function, NO Postscript Color Management, NO image interpolation.

This is the flow that I used and it worked so....

JMinton

Also, [left this out earlier]

Print Dialog
Options Tab
Pictures Output = NORMAL, BINARY

JMinton

Having read all the response on this, I have another issue to add - I have an unflattened tiff image, in all versions apart from Quark 5.0 passport it rips hi-res, in passport it rips lo-res - unless I flatten the image it will not print correctly, I have tried to look at the extensions activated and cannot see why this is happening - any one got any thoughts?

thanks

Jenny

I had these saem problems when i first started useing quark 6 and all i had to do was go to pdf export options after chossing file>export as pdf and set all export images to read (keep resolution) and un check ASCII Format.
Not sure if this will help you but its worth a try.

I am using Qxpress 6

I have had the same problems with the lo-res output. My settings were already on BINARY.

I have worked around this by using OPI at the office, but it is still an issue i'd like to resolve.

I must say that this has only happened to me so far on files that once were Xpress 4

I think it's an Adobe conspiracy to get rid of the Quark users -- ha ha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back