Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Photoshop CS2 Errors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeMoss

Technical User
Jan 31, 2007
US
Hi

For quite a while I have been getting error messages that say something to the effect of "This operation can not be completed because of a program error”.

This can happen just trying to drag a selection around an area, or using the paint tool, lots of different things.

I have the feeling that this is some how related to the way that Photoshop is using memory; it seems to be very sluggish and sometimes unresponsive. Sometimes the tool bar (File, Edit, View, etc.) doesn’t fill on in when starting the program until I drag the cursor over them. I’m not seeing this in any other program.

It doesn't crash or anything usually if you repeat the action it will work. Some times I have to do it several times before it goes through. Some times after dragging a selection it will just sit there for sever seconds before the operation completes.

File size doesn't seem to make much of a difference; I can be working on a 100 mb image and don't have anymore problems then one that is 20.

My computer has plenty of resources, DELL XPS, 3ghx Dual Core, 2gig of fast ram, Nvidia 7800 GTX video card etc.

Indesign CS2 and Illustrator CS3 run fine as do Premier and many other memory intensive programs.

I finally removed Photoshop and reinstalled it and nothing seems to have changed.

I can work on the same images in Photoshop 6, which I also have installed and it works fine.

Any help appreciated…

Mike

What is your hard drive doing when PS is slow or unresponsive? After seeing similar behaviour with the hard drive light on for extended periods, I started pulling the internet connection. That seemed to alleviate the problem. I subsequently found a keylogger and a suspect copy of Windows Explorer on my system.

Hi

Thanks for the info I'll check it out.

Mike

Hi again...

You may have, had something there.

Today before I came and checked this site I removed all my McAfee anti virus, anti-spam, etc. software.

I thought that it was affecting the performance of me computer adversely.

I replaced it with AVG ani-virus, Zone Alarm firewall, and I was already using Spybot. The firewall started blocking things that were not blocked before.

My computer immediately started performing better.

I then came here to see if there was a response to my post.

Next I opened Photoshop and discovered that for the first time in months it is running fine.

I don’t know if it is because of the hit that it was taking from McAfee being a resource hog or if the new software removed something that was causing the problem.

Just to check I opened a 120mb file and it ran cleanly no lag at all. I zoomed, selected and copied, all worked great.

Anyway Photoshop is running great, what a relief, I’ve been trying to figure this out for ages.

Thanks again …

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back