Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Photoshop CS - unwanted internet access 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JChrisCarroll

Technical User
Jun 13, 2002
GB
I have just installed Photoshop CS. Every time I start the program I get a warning from my firewall that some file is trying to access the internet. It does this several times quite independently of whether I confirm or deny access. Clicking on details brings up several temp files as the culprits. ~df394b.tmp is always the first.

What is going on and how can I put a stop to it?

Thanks for any ideas.

what ip is it hitting? the adobe engineers confirmed that version cue is attemting to hit the local host (127.0.0.1) and that will be turned off in the dot release. the .tmp files are probably activation related and run with the adobe license manager service.

Thanks for your interest. The remote IP address is shown as 0.0.0.0.

The firewall gives four warnings before clearing. The first relates to ~df394b.tmp; the second to ~debe26.tmp; the third is a repeat of the first and the fourth is a repeat of the second.

What I also forgot to mention in my first post is that I get a similar warning (but only once and referring to ~df394b.tmp) when exiting from Photoshop.

I do not understand your reference to "the dot release". The program was properly activated as soon as I installed it and there is no actual connection to the internet.

adobe will issue a free downlaod patch release like 8.01 to fix anything that slipped past the beta testers. that's called a dot release. no word yet on WHEN, but I assume it'll be as soon as they get a few bugs fixed.

I THINK 0.0.0.0 is the same thing as localhost. Scott Byer from adobe said you can safely block it. He said infatically that PS CS does NOT need to connect to the internet at all after initial activation.

hope this helps, dave

Yes thanks that's very helpful.

Having looked again at some aspects of my firewall, I decided that part of the problem was that I had not put it into "learning" mode for a period when installing and running Photoshop CS initially. I have now put it into "learning" mode and will leave it there while I run Photoshop a few times.

With the firewall in "learning" mode, the problem disappears. It will be interesting to see whether it re-appears when I put the firewall back into "full" mode.

A Merry Christmas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back