Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Photoshop crashes after scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

photogirl71

Technical User
Oct 3, 2006
US
My scanner is a Nikon Coolscan IV ED and until recently had no problems. I import it through Photoshop CS. After a scan is complete, instead of Nikon closing and the image appearing in my Photoshop window, the whole program shuts down and I lose the image completely. I am photographer who does ALOT of film scanning and I need to figure out what's going on. Can anyone help me?

Thanks.

I have no answers but some thoughts:

Could the scan that caused the crash be of a pic thats much larger than previous successful scans?

Are you simply running out of memory?

Are you running PShop and your Scan software alone without other programs stealing avail memory (like Yahoo Instant Messenger) or other heavy memory programs?

Have you checked for virus?

Have you recently installed new software just before the problems began?

Have you tried re-inatalling the scan software?

Have you checked with Adobe support for posts about your specific problem?

If it's been working successfully and all of a sudden it starts crashing, generally you can pinpoint the problem.

Hopefully another member with similar problems can shed more light than me!!

Much Luck

sam

Thank-you for the reply. Here are some answers: all my scans are consistent in size - grayscale scans are 8 bit at highest resolution available and color scans are 12 bit at highest resolution. I have not changed the scan sizes in years. I have 2 gig of memory - it should not be a memory problem. I usually run Photoshop alone, with nothing else open, when scanning. I check for viruses every week - I'm clean. No new software before the problem began and I should add that it doesn't crash EVERY time I scan, but there is no rhyme or reason why one scan will crash and another won't. I have reinstalled the software twice. I have checked with Adobe on the website, but have not talked with anyone in person - I don't want to do that until I'm totally out of options.

If this helps anyone come up with an answer, I really appreciate it.

Thanks.

The preferences for the Nikon program could be corrupted. You can try trashing them. On a Mac they would be in hard drive/user/library/preferences. Don't know where they are on a pc.

The same could apply to your Photoshop prefs.

Corrupted preferences are probably the biggest cause of apps crashing, especially graphics apps.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back