Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

photo's

Status
Not open for further replies.

alan28

Technical User
Jul 31, 2002
GB
I have an image h2240 by W1680. It was taken by a digital camera. I need to get it down to about H500 by W100. What is the best way to do this?

Well this is a completely different apsect ratio, so I don't think you can without stretching the image. Having said that, what image manipulation software do you have?

I'm assuming you have Photoshop(being in the Photoshop forum and all). You won't be able to get the image down to those dimensions without either cropping some of the image or (as TomThumbKP stated) stretching the image.

First go to 'Image>Image size' and change the height to 500(not the width) make sure constrain proportions is checked first, and the resample image is Bicubic sharper( or Bicubic, if the image looks too sharp after resampling).

Once resampled select the rectangular selection tool, in the options at the top, choose 0px feathering, and Fixed aspect ratio - make the width =1 and the height =5.

Draw a rectangle from one corner to the bottom. This is the size you wanted, as you can see a lot of the image is outside the selection and, if cropped, will be lost.

You can resize the image to this size by resampling again(as above, but with constrain OFF and this time just change the width), this will distort/compress the image width to fit(not much use if, for example, it is someones face!), or you can crop(crop tool) as much of the image at either side first and then resample.

Moe: It could have been a real ugly situation, but luckily I managed to shoot him in the spine.

Sorry I meant to say it about 80 height and about 400 width as the size.

YOu will still need to crop or stretch to make this aspect ratio.

I agree that your image will be partly distorted trying to resize it while maintaining every single detail of the image. If you are willing to loose some area of the image that aren't so important so you can resize it to your desired LxW without stretching it, then that's okey. As an alternate to what's suggestive above, you can open NEW FILE and customized it to your desired new size, then copy-and-paste the image to this new file, transform it by CTRL-DRAG to maintain proportion and position your image until you get the perfect position (considering you are willing to lose some part of the image). Hope this helps..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back