Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Photos as a member property 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnEck

Programmer
Aug 21, 2001
US
I am fairly new and self taught in AS. I have a design question about member properties and cube size. My company has 8,000 products and sometimes the Alias and description don't quite get it done for what the product actually is. I was thinking about adding a picture to the member properties so the analysts can se a picture of the product when the are looking at the data. If I do this wil that explode the size of the cube. Will AS only store one instance of the property for the entire cube or will it store one for each instance of the product in the cube. This would make my life significantly easier if I can do this and not create a monster of a cube.

never tried having an image as a member property but I wouldn't recommend it. Remember every dimension member and property is read into memory when the service starts (which leads me to believe you won't be able to add the actual image). What you could do is place all images into a directory and then have a member property that is the path and file name. This you could include in a cube action which would then open the image in the default image browser.

"Shoot Me! Shoot Me NOW!!!"
- Daffy Duck

I've implemented actions as described by MDXer, all images are on a webserver and the action opens a browser window (from excel) with the image and a short description.

Stick to your guns

Thanks,

This is my first foray into OLAP reporting and development. There is quite a bit more to it than reporting using a straight relational DB. A lot more options for how to get things done.

OLAP technologies and concepts can sometimes be hard to get used to especially if comming from an OLTP background. Best way is to just read, read and read. Then ask lots of questions.

Good Luck

Shoot Me! Shoot Me NOW!!!
- Daffy Duck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back