Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Photo Thumbnails not visible 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ppearce

Technical User
Dec 31, 2002
US
A few weeks ago, I read an article somewhere online advising the deletion of a file because of a possible security hazard. I deleted the file (because the source was a trusted one) and can't remember what file it was.
However, immediately thereafter, instead of thumbnails of the photos in, for instance, Irfanview (or any other chosen viewer) when I go to the folders they are in, I only get icons representing the particular viewer.
I suspect that this is a .dll file that I deleted, but don't know enough about registry editing to try anything without the advice of someone who does.
I can send a screenshot if this is not descriptive enough of my problem.
Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Phil

I'm guessing that you deleted or unregistered Shimgvw.dll in an effort to protect yourself from the WMF vulnerability. Make sure that you are up to date on your hotfixes as the fix for that issue came out last month.

Restore or re-register Shimgvw.dll and you shoudl be fixed.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

I'm guessing that you deleted or unregistered Shimgvw.dll in an effort to protect yourself from the WMF vulnerability. Make sure that you are up to date on your hotfixes as the fix for that issue came out last month.

Restore or re-register Shimgvw.dll and you should be fixed.

Regards,

Mark

Mark,
I searched for and found Shimgvw.dll in my Window.system directory, so I guess it's there? I don't know what re-registering it means. Does that mean it could still be there but needs to be "re-registered"? If so, how does one go about doing that?
Thank you for your help...yes, I seem to remember that this deletion of a file was to protect against a worm or trojan or something. Wish I hadn't done it now. But I think you understand the problem. The pictures are still there, but when I am in a folder that holds a bunch of my digicam pictures, when I click on View>Thumbnails, all I see are the logos of the program that I have selected as a Viewer...eg, Irfanview, MS Photo Editor, etc.
Thanks for your help.
Phil

Start, run
regsvr32 Shimgvw.dll

Regards,

Mark

Perfect,Mark. You are my hero.
Thanks.
Phil

Phil, did that resolve the issue?

Regards,

Mark

Yes, Mark. All thumbnails again visible.
Thanks again.
Phil

Cool. Glad to be of service.

Regards,

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back