Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Photo sizes increasing rapidly - help

Status
Not open for further replies.

mericat

Technical User
Jul 3, 2002
GB
Hi, hoping you can help, although I'm sure it's not a strictly Corel based query. I had a photographer take photographs of my conference and provide the .jpgs on disk. When I got them (very good) she had left the portrait ones sideways and so I had to import them all to Corel, rotate them 90 degrees and then export them back to the original file. I was obviously not paying close attention, because even when I'd zipped these 100 files into 2 zips for putting in an online album, they were over 500 megs each, which is too much for the free online album providers to cope with.

One additional zip file containing approx 40 files is so much smaller (not even 1mb) as I have not had to alter them.

Anyone got any ideas please? They would be much appreciated. Getting a thing about blues and purples

In photopaint, just rotate it and click save, the size should not change (surely not much). Don't do it in coreldraw by first importing it, then rotating it and finally exporting it, because then you will not have the export options (compression, resolution,...) of the original file.

If you're running windows xp, you can just open your file with image viewer (= default viewer, so double clicking is ok) and click on 1 of the 2 rotate buttons (clockwise or counterclockwise) untill your picture is good, close it and it's saved automaticly. Dunno how it is in other windows versions.

If you're not on XP, then open with PhotoPaint, rotate and save. If the file was a JPEG originially, it will save again as a JPEG. However, it will ask you want compression you want. I tend to use between 10-15 for compression, but you can see the effects of your compression.

Zipping a JPEG file doesn't amount to much. Zipping text files is WinZip's strong point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back