Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Photo Quality Poor from Pagemaker 7.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

apcjfv

MIS
Nov 3, 2002
US
When we print photos in Pagemaker 7.0 they never look like to original proof printed out of Photoshop. We will scan in a original into Photoshop, make necessary adjustments and then import(place) into Pagemaker and the pic quality is always different, (both quality and pick up color cast). Any suggestions.
Thnaks in advance
Joe

What file format are you using for the photos?

First, If you don't have CMS on, try using CMS. If you are using CMS, turn it off. Sometimes there will be a noticable difference.

I never could understand why Adobe has not been able to make photoshop and PM colors integrate better.

Make sure you are only using TIFF or EPS images. Use the File>Place to place the images.

If you are printing to an inkjet printer, use RGB color mode, not CMYK. Ink jet printers do their own color interpretation when printing.

Make sure thatthe resolution is adequate for your print. 300DPI images for print. Some will say you can get by with less DPI, and at times I will use 150DPI if file size is critical. When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

I am using TIFF images, and tried the CMS on and off. I am printing to a tektronic 780. Do I have to get a profile installed for the tektronic? Can I use one of the default ones? Also when I print it at home on my inkjet, out of Photshop it looks great, but then out of PM 7 it comes out dark. (Alot of color cast). Thanks for your help.

Have you calibrated your monitor? Getting proper color output is a challenge even for the experts, and is harder if everything is no 100% right. Use Adobe Gamma under Control Panel to calibrate your monitor if you have not done that.

Also, having a professional CMYK color chart is a benefit so that you can see what the color output for each value is supposed to be.

You never answered whether your images were RGB or CMYK. When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

If you are making your tiffs as CMYK instead of RGB, they will look fine in PhotoShop, but UGLY in PM. However, they should print fine to a printer that can handle CMYK files. If you are printing to your own color laser printer, you don't need to make CMYK files though. RGB work great and are smaller.

Also when you send the file to print from PM are you sure you have changed the default format for TIFs from 'Optimised' to 'Normal'? Makes a huge difference to the quality as 'optimised' actually compresses the file. Why on earth Adobe decided to make this the default I don't understand.

Eggles has a good point. Also, PM is optimized for prepress, so printing to an inkjet will almost always look different than the finished product.

If you are printing to you own laser or inkjet printers. then by all means use RGB images. Office printers are designed to use RGB and not CMYK, even thought the toner/inks are CMYK. They do their own conversion of the colors, and using CMYK will result in the color output being off. When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back