Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Photo is Grainy

Status
Not open for further replies.

kathyc20

Programmer
Mar 7, 2001
CA
Hello.

I have scanned in an image from a brochure and have re-sampled the image into 3 different sizes - small 110, medium 200, large, 350.

The large photo's pixels are very noticeable. I don't know what to do, to make the photo smoother.

Thanks for any help.

Yoderman has the right track - a printed piece will have a halftone screen in it, and if your scanner doesn't a have a descreening value to work with (such as you can specifiy that the printed piece has a 133 lpi screen and you're going to be doing something at 85 lpi) you're in for some trouble getting any clarity. You could try repeatedly despeckling or using the dust and scratches filter, but it's just going to fugly up the image.

You can add a very slight Gaussian blur from the filters menu. This will at least soften the image a bit.

Hi,

When you scan an already printed picture, I always a certain trick.

I scan the picture at a much higher resolution, let's say 1200 dpi (when I only need 300 dpi) Then I just use the Filter Blur or Gaussian Blur, that depends. Then I resample the image to the desired dpi. very often this does the trick.

hope this helps
carlow

duplicate the layer and apply gaussian blurr about 6-8 depends on a picture then increase saturation by image>adjustmets>hue/saturation quite a bit. The image will look funny, don't worry. Then change blending mode to soft light and deccease opacity of the duplicated/blurred layer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back