Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Photo Editing Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

csxkidd

Technical User
Apr 16, 2008
US
I know this may not be the right forum, so I will relist if there is a more appropriate one.

My mother in law has an old HP desktop 511w. It came with a program called "My Photo Center by Arcsoft." I fixed up my old PC for her and she's using it, but she won't stop fussing about that photo editing program. She has Paint Shop Pro 7 and has tried the free trials of the new Arcsoft Programs but is not happy, because they are too much for her. I'm not sure what version her program was, but she got used to it and doesn't want anything else.

The HP PC has a recovery feature that re-installs it on the PC if you accidently uninstall it. Would there be a way to get the program off of the computer from a stored folder or something so it could be installed on another PC?

If not, does anyone know of a simple photo editor she can get for a decent price? She likes to take the picture and put them in the shape of a heart or a circle and other simple stuff, but can't figure it out on paint shop.

Thanks,
Chris

You could try browsing the recovery CD and see if there is a folder called Arcsoft or something similar with a setup.exe or install.exe or Arcsoft.msi file or something that indicates it will start an install.
If you manage to install it on your Mum's new PC you are probably breaking the license agreement though. Because it is probably tied to her old PC. It may not install and it may not work properly - so make a backup or at the least make a restore point first.

[navy]When I married "Miss Right" I didn't realise her first name was 'always'. LOL[/navy]

There are lots of freeware PhotoEditor out there on the NET... also if you have a licensed copy of OfficeXP or earlier, it has one integrated called Microsoft Photo Editor (who would have thought :))...

see: Microsoft Photo Editor

hint: read the article carefully...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

faststone Image Viewer is a fairly powerful one, but is still simple to use.

GIMP is good, but proberbly way to much....

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

try going to the website for the camera she has and see if they have the program she is used to. that is probably what came with her old PC

Most of the softwares mentioned above are fine and if your MILaw moans that it's not the same as "Mt Photo Center" remind her that sometimes we need to change with the times.

Better yet offer to help her grind thru the basics of one of the above choices; you may even gain a few SILaw points!

sam

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I actually went through the recovery CD's that my mother in law had for the old PC and found the ArcSoft Program on CD #7. I unzipped it to the new PC, and it worked. I really couldn't believe it did, but it did. I've never seen a woman so happy. She sells dolls on Ebay and loves that stinkin' program. It's ArcSoft 2000 Photoshop.

I told her when she upgrades to Vista, she's going to be out of luck more than likely. I sent her a couple of the links for the ones you guys provided and told her to try something different. However, she probably won't until she has to.

I downloaded Faststone myself and am trying some different stuff on it. So far, I like it.

Thanks a lot for all the advice.

There's a certain comfort level that comes with age and you find yourself reluctant to change not out of fear but because you have mastered the use of a particular application, and it's comfortable to you. I have several apps that I would hesitate to lose, even if the modern ones do the job better.

I have to give up my TiVo because DirecTV no longer works with them, and if I want to get HD programming I need the new MP4 DVR vs TiVo's MP2. This will be a sad day, but we all need to learn to let go sometimes.

I, for one, am glad Mom got her program back. I understand what things like this mean to people.

PS: make about a jillion copies of that CD!!!

Tony

Users helping Users...

csxkidd
I told her when she upgrades to Vista, she's going to be out of luck more than likely
No she wont, who wants to upgrade to something that's already broken from the start. Maybe wait for Windows 7, but then again that may be rubbish. I'll stick with XP for now.

No she wont, who wants to upgrade to something that's already broken from the start. Maybe wait for Windows 7, but then again that may be rubbish. I'll stick with XP for now.

Vista is not broken. Stop perpetuating garbage. I beta tested both Vista and XP, and XP had FAR more issues than Vista did when it came out. There is nothing wrong with Vista. Stop that!!!!

Have you even used Vista?

Cheers
Rob

The answer is always "PEBKAC!

AZGeek, I agree... it is not broken... and I am content with it...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Yes I have used Vista, or should I say I support it more than use it. I hate it. I have been using Windows since 3.1. done my A+ on it. So why do MS change the location of user folders every time they release a new version of Windows, and on top of that add stupid shortcuts to those folders that are none existent. Then they restrict it e.g UAC, even Telnet has to be added, and then theirs the Admin account. BTW I dont mind MS's thought here but let us the users decided what programs should be disabled, don't sell it with everything disabled.

I am not saying Vista is without issues, but what OS doesn't have issues? And most Vista issues can be fixed with ease and a quick Google search.

Don't like UAC? Do what I did and turn it off. And why would the average user need telnet? They wouldn't. Just another tool for the hackers to exploit. Besides, telnet sucks. It presents a magnitude of security issues with any OS that has it installed not just Windows.

I am not saying Vista is my favorite OS from Microsoft (not much runs on DOS these days) but, Vista is NOT broke. Far from it.

The answer is always "PEBKAC!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back