Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

phones take forever to boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

SNIP81

Programmer
Jan 29, 2007
US
we have a 3300 mcd 4.1, when adding a new phone or even deleting mac addresses and trying to switch extension number on a phone, it takes forever to boot. This happens with multiple phones. If you leave it over night it will be ready for pin in the morning. Its like the dhcp server is really slow. The phone is a 5340. Any ideas in where i can start? We have enough licenses.

thanks

Have you run out of DHCP leases?

Next day might be due to a lease expiring.

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

no, there is only 44 ip phones at this business. The range is 10 - 200.

thanks for your reply

You can tell if its a DHCP server issue because as the phone boots it get an IP from the DHCP server in the default vlan, then if you have a voice vlan configured it will release the first DHCP address and do a directed request on the voice vlan to that DHCP server. SO you should see that release, ACK, renew thing happening. if you get past that then it is not a DHCP issue but perhaps a TFTP issue. Let us know the exact point you feel the slow down is.
If its a TFTP issue then is the 3300 it is replying to on the same subnet?
Is the DHCP server on the same subnet/router or are you doing a relay?

I am thinking the phones are having difficulty in reaching the controller. What's the network enviroment?

I'd tell you a UDP joke but I'm afraid you won't get it. TCP jokes are the best because you always get them.

Check your DNS IP addresses on your DHCP server.
If the DNS IP address is unreachable or incorrect the phones will take a few minutes longer before they boot up.

To mimick ExCentigram. How are your new phones retrieving their IP info? Is it getting its info from an external DHCP server? Does it get an initial IP from an external DHCP server and then the final from the 3300? Are you using CDP or LLDP to tell the phones what VLAN they are using? ( are you using VLANs? ) have you tried plugging a new phone directly into the 3300 and is it still slow to boot?. If you do this and it boots faster then its your network.

I'd tell you a UDP joke but I'm afraid you won't get it. TCP jokes are the best because you always get them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back