Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Phones re-registering

Status
Not open for further replies.

fletchj

Technical User
Jun 18, 2012
US
We have a Nortel/Avaya CS1000M R7.5 VOIP system, and some users phones reset searching for server they come right back up. This has been going on for 3 days now, and our maintenance support contractor keeps referring to our network. We checked our network, and everything looks good, I reset the Signaling servers, and we still have the same issue. it seems like it effects some more then others, it seems to be more phones resetting each day.

i would check for ip conflicts, had this on more than one occasion and found duplicate ip address's on the network

DHCP or static IP addresses?

If static, make sure you have your phones IP address, MAC address, model, TN and DN very well documented and the document itself subject to good change management (in other words - don't let the entire IT dept have their hands stirring that pot of soup).

If DHCP, make sure you don't have more than one DHCP server on your network and that the vendor-specific options are set correctly.

The network itself... are switchports configured correctly? Proper voice and data VLAN, etc...? Are the phones themselves configured correctly? IP address, subnet and gateway correct? Right signalling server IP's and TCP port?

Are phones being moved from one VLAN to another on the network - and not changing the VLAN in the phone's configuration?

Start out by printing out a list in LD 117 (stat iset all) and see what's registered and offline to give you an idea of what's what.

Nortel IP phones aren't as plug-and-play as Cisco's unless you're using a provisioning server and DHCP. But if you're using static IP addresses - they'll require a degree of asset management.

Sounds more like a watchdog reset. Do you see any messages in /var/log/nortel/ss_common.log or /var/log/nortel/linuxbase.log on one of the signaling servers indicating what the problem might be.

I2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back