Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PhoneManager Softphone over ADSL

Status
Not open for further replies.

tektekkie

Technical User
Feb 15, 2007
GB
Are there any sites that have implemented phone manager softphones for remote users over adsl successfully?
We have several sites wher the softphone works fine on the local network but have numerous problems when trying to use remotely over adsl.
I understand that there are no guarantees with data over the internet but comparing the softphone to other free voip offerings, the service fairs poorly in my experience.

Has anyone managed to get a reliable & predictable softphone over adsl?

I'm guessing the reason for the struggle is your network connection. With DSL / ADSL you are extremely limited on the upload bandwidth that you have... So the user speaking through a softphone to a customer may experience some extreme audio issues, the calls can be good at sometimes and poor at others, all pending network congestion.

I'm assuming your remote users are connecting via a VPN Client to the main office, in this case you will want to look into QoS (Quality of Service) adjustments that you can make to your VPN client. With this you can let the VPN know that it will need to hold a particlar amount of bandwidth for certain ports. This will help with call quality but may bring your network to a crawl... (See IP Office Matrix for Ports)

There is not 1 answer for this, each site and install kind of vary.

I have had some great success lately with the release of the 4.0 software with deploying softphones to external users. We have several for our company and have done it for many customers recently. EVEN now with the wireless broadband cards from Cel phone providers! Really helping to give executives the mobilty they demand!

Best of Luck!

Tekcetera Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back