Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

phone system with voice mail

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmmheyhey

Technical User
Jul 26, 2003
US
Hello everyone, you guys have been such great help in the past, please help me on this one. I have a client who is a general contractor with a new business which I have ran all of his voice and data runs, now he wants a system with voice mail with 9 phones. The local telco company gave him a bid of 5000+.oo but I would really appreciate knowing what all of you would recommend for that price. I really want to give him an excellent system as he will contract us for all of his future cabling and phone systems. Thanks all of you great guys....Lisa The Cable Girls Arizona

If he wants cheap, you can probably get a Panasonic with VM for under $2000. A KX-TD816 will give you 8 lines and 16 extensions and they used to sell a KX-TVS50 voicemail, but I think they replaced that with a KX-TVS60. Those should satisfy his requirements and leave room for growth....

Thanks,

Matt Wray
MCSE, MCSA, MCP, CCNA

Try looking at the Avaya IP Office, an IP403 wouldd jsut about meet this requirement without any expansion options
Basic VM is free (no auto attendant features)
it also includes a TCP/IP data router & Basic CTI

Even a Partner ACS system may satisfy this requirement nicely. Rough figures... $650 for a Release 6.0 308 Processor, $350 for a 308EC Expansion Module, and $500 for either a 16 or 20 port voicemail card or module. Add a few phones and you are there. The system is easily expandable to 12 lines and 32 phones.

I think a lot of your choice depends on whether you want certain features supported like Direct Inward Dial, Dial by Name Directory, etc. and who is going to install, program, and support the system. Something like the Panasonic KXTD series or the Partner ACS can often be installed and programmed by someone with a little prior telephone experience. Other systems (including I believe most of the IP based ones) will probably require professional installation, programming, and support.

take a look at the inter-tell encore

I was at a mini trade show last week that ADI put on and I went to inter tells presention on this it looks pretty good and they are running a promo deal through the end of this month if you buy a 4x12 package you get a free voicemail card.

the voice mail is limited in features but I beileve it will work just fine for most applications

Hi mmmheyhey
If they want an Auto Attendant get system that has 4 ports on it otherwise they will not be happy and YOU will have to wear it. I like the Panasonic it is easy to set and has heaps of features and is reliable. Local conditions set price and availablity so up to you.
Cheers Hitechbuzz

It really depends on what particular equipment they are proposing.For that money it could just possibly get him a Norstar CICS capable of 8 POTS lines max or a DTI card with 16 stations ports (upgradable to 24 station ports) with a 4 port VM. I doubt the telco is quoting that- usually their markups are 1.6 to 2.0 .

Steve
tele-dataservices.com

The Comdial Dx-80 is an excellent choice. For about $4,000, you can get them a solid, reliable small business system that would be able to handle 4 central office lines(16 max.), 16 digital phones(48 max.) and 4 analog devices(8max.). I normall sell DX-80 systems to New Jersey clients wanting 4-10 phones, with or without voice mail and they are totally satisfied. The system is packed with features and is very is to install. If you want to check it out, go to comdial.com, then products,systems, DX-80.
Hope this helps.

rather than suggesting a specific (favorite) style of phone system I would suggest that you send all of the telephone vendors within 40 or 50 miles of the customers location (keep service call drive-time to a minimum) a request for proposal then in your RFP state your requirements for lines/stations and voicemail.

this will get you competitive bids to place against the telco bid

One thing to definately do is talk to the vendors references and see how often they have to have a tech out after the system is set-up(about a month after install). this will give you an idea how many failures/service calls each manufacturor's product will need. (this could offset a very reasonably priced install quickly)

JerryReeve
Communications Systems Int'l
com-sys.com

Take a look at the Vodavi STS. It is a new product based on their triad product. the ksu equipped 4x8x2 is 287.00 and the phones are 100.00 for a 24 button display speakerphone. The only catch is... there is only 1 phone, no options. but the price is fantastic and it is full featured.

My vote for reliability is the Norstar CICS W/Call Pilot 100.

PhM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back