Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Phone system for home use

Status
Not open for further replies.

darthvader167

IS-IT--Management
Nov 27, 2019
CA
Hey guys.
I have a fairly large home and 7 incoming lines (all VOIP) that I use for personal and business purposes. I find my self running around a lot, so I'm wondering what would be a good phone system for home use that has paging, intercom, and basically all the other features that the Nortel systems have.
Thanks!

Emetrotel UCX product......Galaxy Mini to be more specific`

Any other system that would do a smartphone app/softphone? Or any good key system?

I run a BCM50 for the same setup and have no intentions of changing it.
Business & Residential, 21 phones, 7 SIP lines, 1 Analog line
BCM's Advanced Paging Productivity Pack - I do not know any other system that has this luxury, a must have for me and I know others too.

All system have Intercom, Paging and now SIP/VoIP
To get around the SIP app not available for BCM and have a separate SIP line (extension of the main SIP line) on my mobile and use FindMe FollowMe to call that SIP line.

System will have their pro's and con's

The usual con's are
-Expensive system
-Expensive Licensing
-The need for a service/software contract for support or updates

A phone system , some love it and some hate it and that goes for every system.
For instance I cannot stand NEC, and just thinking about it makes me want to do a data dump.

The Emetrotel mimics a lot of the BCM.

Other systems to look at:
Avaya IP Office
Mitel
3cx
Allworx
Shortel
so many others

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Curly,
Could you explain in a little more detail how you're using FindMe FollowMe and SIP that you mentioned in your sentence.
"To get around the SIP app not available for BCM and have a separate SIP line (extension of the main SIP line) on my mobile and use FindMe FollowMe to call that SIP line.

Sure

Main Sip Line - XXX XXX-XXXX <-----registered to the BCM
-SIP Extension - YYY YYY-YYYY <-----registered only to the Mobile App (I currently use GS Wave)

-Add your dest code followed by the phone number:
9YYY YYY-YYYY
-Enable it

From FAQs
Steps to allow the above:

1 - Go to Element Manager/System/Keycodes and Load the FMFM keycode file
2 - Go to Callpilot Manager/Configuration/SystemProperties/ and at the bottom allow a minimum of 1 FMFM session, add more depending on amount of users.
3 - Go to Callpilot Manager/Mailbox Administration/Class Of Service and allow for FM/FM
4 - Go to Mailbox Manager of the user/FindMeFollowMe/ and setup the schedule and destination numbers (include Dest Code), set Calling Delay Time as needed (i.e. 0 for right away)
5 - Go to Element Manager/Applications/LAN CTE/Virtual Terminals and note the DN numbers that were assigned by Callpilot.
6 - Go to Element Manager/Telephony/Sets/Active Application DN's, give those DN's you noted above 3 Intercom keys minimum, access to your Digital or VoIP lines (i.e. BlocA (IP trunks) or BlocB (PRI channels), Set Handsfree to NONE and uncheck all boxes except AutoHold, change the Name to FMFM.
7 - Optional if using some Analog/POTs for Inbound and SIP or H323 for Outbound - Go to Element Manager/IP Trunks/SIP Trunking (or H323 Trunking)/Media Parameters/ Enable Voice Activity Detection
8 - You may need to program OLI under Virtual Terminal DN's so that the call will be allowed to go out by your carrier or they may reject the call.

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Thanks for the replies.
Actually, I had a BCM50 in my home with a similar set up to curlycord, but I don’t like the fact that the BCM has a hard drive that will eventually fail and I will lose all my keycodes! I have tried mirroring the hard drive to an SD card and SSD, but none of those options worked. I do enjoy the convenient features of the BCM, but the hard drive problem worries me.
At my business location I have a Grandstream UCM6202 which I love very much. I’ve installed cat6 wiring everywhere in my home, but I find it’s nice to have the thin rj11 plugs for digital phones instead of the network wire (I know that the wires are technically the same core wire ;) ). I wouldn’t want a big fat Avaya IPO in my home. I’ve also tried the Avaya IPO small office editon, which I liked, but the licensing and administration is a nightmare (same as Cisco). I hate it when companies like Avaya, Cisco, Fortinet (and Nortel to some extent) have to overcomplicate their licensing junk even though they have some great products. I have a Nortel 616, but I need more than just 6 lines!
Any other suggestions?

Yeah, throw out the 6X16

" but the hard drive problem worries me"
Well....it worries me that your so worried about hard drives.

-Hard Drives can last years if you have the BCM on a UPS Battery & Surge protector (APC for me).
I am going on 8 years with my current BCM which was used when I got it and we have had plenty of surges, brownouts, blackouts being on overhead wires.
Every time I get a service call for a BCM down its always an unprotected one 90% of the time.
My PC is also on a UPS, about the same age too.

-You can simply reload your license LIC file once a new hard drive is installed as the system ID does not change.

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

+Firebird Scrambler, could you please explain how you did that?
Thanks

The Tek-tips FAQ section contains loads of good information that isn't available anywhere else.

001_g4sdty.jpg

003_ajaspm.jpg

Go to page 5 on the attached file as this is what is in my BCM system.

Firebird Scrambler

Nortel & Avaya Meridian 1 / Succession & BCM / Norstar Programmer

Website = linkedin

Wow thanks. I will look into that.
Probably will keep my BCM50.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back