Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Phone on Merlin analog line can't make outbound calls

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD Safari

IS-IT--Management
Sep 7, 2016
US
This phone is connected to our 016 T/R module. We have four other phones going to the same module, and you can make internal/outbound/inbound calls just fine. The one I'm having an issue with I recently set up. I confirmed that, in WinSPM, the line has the same settings as the other lines. I made sure that the line has a transfer-only extension in Merlin Messaging. (We don't need a mailbox.) I can call other extensions on our system, and I can call from an outside line and it goes through to the phone. The problem is that when I make an outbound call, it get's a regular busy signal, no matter what phone number I call.

I'm sure for the phone genius' here, there is a simple fix involving the trunks. I simply don't know phone systems well enough to figure out what the issue is.

I checked ARS since that could have been an easy fix. ARS is set to 3, which allows outbound local/long distance calls.

Use WinSPM to print the Extension Report for one of the working phones, and the non-working phone. Use the File Compare utility in WinSPM to compare and highlight the differences between them. You may have Forced Account Code turned on, or a restriction other than ARS restriction going for that extension.

Hello,

That is quite possibly the nicest component of WinSPM. Thank you for alerting me to the File Compare feature.

Unfortunately, the only differences in the files are the Extension and the SS/PP numbers. I attached the config file for the extension that can't make outbound calls, in case you want look at it. The fact that I'm not seeing any odd restrictions makes me think that the problem is with the port on the module, so today I'll try configuing an open port and switching the line over.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=3498dcaa-28b5-4561-88ad-1c22c9f7085f&file=EXT551_CONFIG.TXT
I could be wrong as it has been a few years since I worked with Magix, but it looks like there is no pool assignment, which would explain why you can't get out.

Dermis and feline can be divorced by manifold methods.*
*(Disclaimer for all advise given)--'Version Dependent'

Here's another clue that I realized today, as I was playing around with an open port. After dialing 9, you still hear a dial tone as if the call did make it out to the network. I got a message when I dialed a wrong number. That makes me think it's going out the wrong way (your suggestion is probably relevant, I just don't know how to troubleshoot for that).

budbyrd said:
I could be wrong as it has been a few years since I worked with Magix, but it looks like there is no pool assignment, which would explain why you can't get out.

Does the coverage group take care of that? Or the group coverers? You'll have to pardon me, I didn't mention that I don't know that much about phone systems.

The coverage group usually sends it to voicemail and such. You probably need it to go out pool 70. Get in to programming extensions/dial outcd/ext number/ and enter 70 see if that fixes it.

There's no reason to add Pool 70 to a single line station to allow it to dial out through ARS. You add a pool and make it the first auto select to bypass dialing 9 for things like fax and postage machines.

The dial tones that you are hearing are generated by the system, and are not outside dial tone. After the initial 9, the system collects the digits that you dial, analyzes them to see if you are allowed to make the call that you have dialed, then grabs a line in the pool that matches the route you are allowed to use, dials the call, and then cuts through so you can talk to the other party.

Try going into Centralized Telephone Programming, Program Station, dial the extension number and Enter, press ANY of the SA buttons, dial *14, Press button SA button 1, SA button 2, SA button 3, dial **14

You could also try to maintenance busy the slot, reset, and restore

I followed the instructions that TouchToneTomy posted, and I'm still getting the busy signal. I'm willing to try the reset/restore. I figured out how to get in the maintenance menu, so is it just a matter of selecting the slot, then punching "Busy-Out", "Reset", and "Restore"? Or is there more to it?

No luck with either the central programming settings, nor the busy/reset/restore.

I did fix it, sort of. I noticed that there were cables attached to ports 9, 10, 11, and 12. However, port 10 wasn't being used by any documented device. (9, 11, and 12 go to other conference rooms.) I was using port 16 for the phoen I set up, but instead I moved the extenion over to port 10, swapped the cables, and now I can successfully dial and external number.

That makes me think that the ports 9 through 12 are the only ones that can dial out. Is that common with 016 T/R modules? Is there something else that might be limiting the other ports? I currently don't need the other ports, but unless I get the VoIP project going, it's only a matter of time before I need another port on that module.

No all the ports should be able to work the same. I don't have a analog card laying about to test. If I were you I would print out a working extension and a non-working one and do a stare and compare to see what is different.

After reviewing the two print outs, I am of the opinion that the 016 Module may have been used to replace an 012 Module previously in that slot.

If that is the case, a BOARD RENUMBE may be in order. However, if there are any modules to the right of the 016, I'm not sure I would do that.

The consequences may outweigh the benefits.

Let us know if I'm right on my history guess.

I'm sorry for not coming back to this sooner. I concluded after further troubleshooting that the problem is with the phone in the conference room. I have a wireless handset that the maintenance guys use, and when I plugged it into the same port, it worked just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back