Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Phone Manager PC SoftPhone on Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

superikey

Technical User
Nov 12, 2005
US
Hi All

I have a client with Windows Vista on the Bosses Laptop.
I can get PM Pro to work fine. When I put it in PC SoftPhone Mode, it works, but the voice is choppy. Having this issue in the past with XP Pro, I removed QOS Packet Scheduled from the Network Connection, but it dint help.

HAs anyone gotten PC SoftPhone working on Vista.
Anything I need to know?

Isaac Braca
CTO / ICCS & Co., LLC.
Email: braca at iccsllc.com

ICCS, Your Premier IT Partner, is a NYC Based Avaya Business Partner and IT Consulting Firm.

well i knew it wasnt, and so did all of our engineers.

i think that kind of thing directly reflects how much time you spend reading release notes etc.

i only work on avaya, so i find it easy to keep in touch with that kind of thing

Ah, our group deals with a range of services, all networking/technical, but a renge none-the-less. They do however only deal with Avaya after they dropped Cisco.
Persoanlly I've never read any whitepaper though, or any lengthy release notes fully. I used to untill they all primarily talked about all these new features that I'll never use and updates and bug fixes to places that I didn't see any. I couldn't imagine reading though MS release notes for an OS!
I did skim Vista notes, and saw that it basically said that it was a rollup of all release updates and a few minor tweaks. I only saw that the time calculation for network transfers was fixed, and I did see that in the notes!

I'd guess that there must be some kind of serious conflict or similar in either Phone Manager or one of its libraries so I'd not be expecting a maintenance release to resolve this; that is I doubt Softphone on Vista will be supported before Version 4.2

Take Care

Matt
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Yes is supported on 4.2 I don't think they will bother releasing a fix for this as they clearly are not too bothered about it

ACS - IP Office Implement

the problem with PM-ip is actualy caused by the open h323 libruary that it uses. to achive Vista compatibility this dependency needs to be removed ( I cannot tell you if/when this is going to happen)

Anyone have any ideas on my problem above with respect to SoftPhone not running on an XP Pro machine?

Thanks,
Matt

Mattream have you run the firewall batch file to open up ports etc?

Matt

My guess is your upload speed isn't fast enough or delayed to much or both. If someone else had no issues at a different site they may have a better link to the internet. Try playing with compression to see if going up or down helps. If going to higher compression helps then the upload isn't fast enough, if lower compression helps then latency is too high on the internet connection. (higher compression causes more latency)

They will have tried all combinations of faststart etc no doubt. Also turned off direct media path for the extension?

Kurt

Actually the last testing I did was at the integrator's site. The two machines were sitting side by side. His works, mine does not. Both were using the same VPN credentials to log in. I've also used it on varoius connections with the same problem. where do you adjust the compression?

Is yours a Dell by any chance? Dell's cause all sorts of issues no other PC does.

Yes, mine is a Dell, but we have the same problem with a new Lenovo.

Well the problem is most definatly with the PC's not the software or system otherwise it would have shown up during the side by side testing, so I doubt changing the compression will help! Hard to diagnose without seeing what else you have running etc, Skype can cause issues if on the same PC mind!!

Do you mean _will_ be supported in 4.2? The newest that I see is 4.1.17. If they don't want to patch an old version, that's fine with me. When is Avaya looking to put 4.2 with Vista softphone support out? I'm guessing there's no beta/testing/unstable version, is there?

There is Beta testing out and that's where the Docs say softphone supported.......or so I hear :)

Well... GOOD!
You wonldn't happen to have an idea when 4.2 will be available for production installs, would you? Are you thinking July? Dec.? 2010?... any guess at all?

>When in the office they work fine, but from any remote location over our VPN, people can hear me clearly, but their response is chopped severely. Softphone is also slow to connect and crashes frequently after you hang up a call

Bet you are using a PTPP VPN....

Uninstall the Microfsoft Qos Scheduler from your network stack als o from your VPN network tab

Take Care

Matt
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back