Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Phone Manager PC SoftPhone on Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

superikey

Technical User
Nov 12, 2005
US
Hi All

I have a client with Windows Vista on the Bosses Laptop.
I can get PM Pro to work fine. When I put it in PC SoftPhone Mode, it works, but the voice is choppy. Having this issue in the past with XP Pro, I removed QOS Packet Scheduled from the Network Connection, but it dint help.

HAs anyone gotten PC SoftPhone working on Vista.
Anything I need to know?

Isaac Braca
CTO / ICCS & Co., LLC.
Email: braca at iccsllc.com

ICCS, Your Premier IT Partner, is a NYC Based Avaya Business Partner and IT Consulting Firm.

HAs anyone gotten PC SoftPhone working on Vista.
Anything I need to know?

I've never trued, but softphone isn't supported on Vista...

I assume you know that!

Take Care

Matt
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

I'm having the same problem. Definitly why it is not supported yet on Vista. I'm trying to push the envelope, but bigger brains will need to get involved.

Ron

Did you get anywhere with this?
When I called support I was suprised to hear that Sofphone was not supported on Vista when PM Pro is, and its the same damn app.

I tried to email my Avaya Rep and they responded as if I was crazy, "trying something that wasnt supported."

I mean c'mon. Vista is out for a year now. There arent any excuses for this.

Isaac Braca
CTO / ICCS & Co., LLC.

ICCS, Your Premier IT Partner, is a NYC Based Avaya Business Partner and IT Consulting Firm.

Its not the same app. Sure its the same software that you install but it works completley differently.

ACE - Avaya Certified Expert
ACI - Avaya Certified Instructor

Same App, Different App, whatever.
Bottm line, has anyone gotten this to work on Vista and if so what are the issues, etc.

I tried it this afternoon and it seems to work but i have only tested a few calls - no VPN or remote - directly on the wireless LAN to the IPO.
I have Vista Business on a HP laptop- Intel Centrino - 1Gig - wireless LAN.

NIHIL NOVI SUB SOLE

intrigrant
I had problems on the Local LAN.
Did you manually set the Codec or leave to auto?
Fast Start on or off?
Anything else I need to know?

What version are you using?

Fixed codec G.729, faststart on, PMPro version 4.1.5.
In PMPro i selected to confirm the IP Address during logon, the user has the same TN as the extension and the user has a password for registering the PMPro.

NIHIL NOVI SUB SOLE

I've been having the same problems.
Our problem is going to be fairly common soon.
We have a large number of staff and computers get rotated out of service after X years and are replaced with new boxes. These new boxes came directly from Dell with Vista Bussiness and 2G of RAM, mine happens to the a Precision. We have a few different ways we're getting stuck.

1. We did not get an option of the OS since Vista was out when the new Desktops were bought.

2. Some of our staff buy thier own laptops for personal/work use at Best Buy and they only sell Vista.

3. At some point we all must go farward and obey MS, it's not like you can get apps for Win 3.1 anymore. At some point 98 went away. Vista is MS's current OS, that's what will end up being the basis for everything.

There were no bullitens that the softphone didn't work with Vista, and the software does install and allow the selection of softphone. Only after digging deep into the documention on Avaya's site do they make a tiny note that PMP softphone is not compatible.
I would have expected Avaya would be up front with people since Vista's been out for over a year now.
I do understand that they might not have cared to work on making anything compatible durring the 5 years that Vista was in development or the year that it was in public hands for testing, or even when it first came out. I know that HP didn't have any drivers that we needed. HP did bring out new drivers within 6 months of Vista's release, and Avaya's brought out 2 ... or it is 3 updates since Vista and have had made no updated to Vista support at all.

We have a ton of money in Plantronics headsets and softphone licences that are all useless.

Even Skype and Yahoo have softphones, but not a huge company like Avaya.

I know that they say Vista is not supported but my point is that Vista is not going away, are they ever going to do something for Vista or are they just going to cancel the softphone? If so, I want my money back that was wasted.

Does anyone know of any other softphones that can connect to the IP406? What about Avaya's softphone? a modded version of Skype? anything?

Sorry for the rant, but I don't feel as though Avaya can just basically say "deal" and give anyone that buys a new computer a big fU.... Do you?

Dell = computerhell

I have very bad experiences with Dell PCs loaded with the preinstalled operating system, whatever version of OS.
The first thing what i would do is format the hd and install a proper version of Windows.

The docs of Avaya are pretty clear on using the softphone on Vista : not yet.

I agree with you this is not a good thing but is Avaya to blaim or Micro$oft?

NIHIL NOVI SUB SOLE

PonyGod

"Does anyone know of any other softphones that can connect to the IP406? What about Avaya's softphone? a modded version of Skype? anything?"

You need a 3rd partylicense but SJPhone works well, it works on H323 and also on SIP.

In manual, yes.
Deep in manual, yes.
On one noted line, yes.
Obvious, no. -- Our installer and Avaya reps didn't even know that it wasn't compatible.

Preinstalled anything is usually crap and that's why we never buy any servers with an OS, and always image the workstations.

Unfortunately, Dell is the best option, and really only option, from an IT/budgeting standpoint since they are the least expensive by far and with the good support we have had extremely few problems. We are able to buy four times the power as our competitors for the same price, with little more support.

Who's to blame? I'd go 50/50. Avaya has had plenty of time, but M$ shouldn't have friggered all hardware and software that existed before Vista was released.

I tried SJPhone, but I cannot connect to the PBX, and I cannot exit the options widow without the software crashing. I'll try it on another box later though. Did I see that they want $20k/year to use it?

We have the same problem:

New PC's installed with Vista and chopped audio with IP Office SoftPhone.

I DID FIND a document on Avaya their website where it is marked that it can run on Vista:
I escalated the problem, I hope they will respond soon...

You are very right! Of course that was put out Jan, 2008 and there has been a release since then and still no support. Good ammunition though. I'm having our rep push to see what's up with this document saying that it is compatible.

Superikey,

In your original message you mention you've had similar problems with XP Pro? We just installed an IP Office 500 with softphones in our office. Our current integrator has been trying unsuccessfully for 2 months to get them working. We installed it on a new Dell as well as a Lenovo runnin XP Pro. When in the office they work fine, but from any remote location over our VPN, people can hear me clearly, but their response is chopped severely. Softphone is also slow to connect and crashes frequently after you hang up a call. The integrator loaded it up on one of their machines through our VPN and it seems to work fine.

Any ideas?
Thanks, Matt

maybe i am looking at it wrong but that document doesnt say vista is compatible? does it?

Everything except Softphone...
There are a few documents that say that the softphone is compatible, but the main ones contionue to say that it is unsupported. Generally it's in the astrice and not blatently obvious.

The thing that I still don't get is that it seems as though most other providers that have softphone/voip software have worked everything out but Avaua just hasn't seemed to care enough to even get back to thier sellers with any sort of information about Vista+softphone support at all.

Now that it's a year later and SP1 is out, I have full support for every piece of hardware and software in our entire office... except Avaya and the softphone.

i guess its one of those things. we expect it to just work

like you say SP1 is out and i havent found anything else without vista support yet apart from this

Anything newer, I have plenty of old printers, scanners, cameras, and software that just don't work at all...

I feel as though Avaya isn't even bothering to make it clear that it's not supported. I know that out installer had no idea until I contacted them after getting the new Vista machines, then they spend two days trying to get it going while working with Avaya. it was only a month later that I ctrl-F ed the PDF document ans searched for "Vista" did I find a small note that said it is not compartible.

Since then, they continuly tell our installer that the next version will support it, then we upgrade, re-install and try again to get the exact same choppyness. Then I look at the docs again, find the "everything is fully compatible with Vista" section, then I scroll down and find the "everyhting except for softphone" part still there.

I would like to know how many of Avayas installers/resellers actually know that it doesn't work since ours never recieved any sort of notice and the manualls say "full compatibility".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back