Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Phone Manager Lite / Pro - centralised

Status
Not open for further replies.

deltaserver403

Technical User
Apr 7, 2005
UG
Dear All.

Is there any posibility in IPO Version 3, PM Pro or lite can be installed in server & push the programming to users like how we do it our antivirus software.

if possible pls give me ideas to impliment it.

Thanks 2 all

Hi CarGoski.

Thanks for the reply.

Push the programme means.

install the PM Lite or pro in the server having Win 2003 if any user needs can we install it from the server to client pc this solves the problem going each 7 every desk of client pc & install it using CD.

we have around 230 users & building is scattered it is very pain full going each desk to install PM lite

Oh.. I understand you now. It must be my anticipation of consuming vast quantities of tryptophan that has made me sleepy.

As long as you have a file server set up then you should be able to network to the server and run the setup.exe.

I have done this before. This should not be a problem.

Create a folder called Shared on your server. Right click on it and click "Sharing and Security". Then click "Share this folder". You can copy the software that you want to install on the client computers in the newly shared folder.

Go to the client PC and go to the "Start" menu and click "RUN". Then type "\\xxxxxxx". XXXXXX would be the computer-name or IP address of the server if the computer is on the same network and IP subnet. You will then see windows explorer pop up with the shared folder on the server. You may need to enter user-name and password for the server depending on how the security settings are set up. Usaully the administrator account will get you where you want to go. You can run the setup.exe from the folder. Good Luck...

What ever happened to the client deployment tool that popped up a few versions back, didnt work , then disappeared? Would be very handy for 200+ users deltaserver

The client deployment tool that reached a short lived beta required almost all the steps SuperJenks described to get it working, so it wasn't really any better than creating a share to a folder containing a copy of the IP Office User apps CD.

Sharing a folder on a server and email all the users they have to launch setup.exe, fill their own phone number and click OK.
This is not a solution, just a way to earn time.
Our technical teams also do that.

I've recently discuss with Marketing departemnt of AVAYA about this.

They want to produce a deployment software with push&pull method.
This soft would be able to easily deploy PhoneManager as a package, to notify update, and maybe to notify Speed Dial modifications.

Cause today the main problem, from my point of view, is the following :

You change an extension number or a user name you have to recreate the concerned icon on all the phonemanager.
that's amazing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This push&pull implementation should solve the problem.

You could spend a bit of time and crack the installer to a straight MSI package. This can then be deployed by Group policy (of course, Active directory domain is required)

It is fairly straight forward will also mean that the installation time (of each workstation) will reduce, if you remove all of the unused language files (i.e. the ones not relevant to your locality)

Take Care

Matt
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back