Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Phone Isn't Recognized By Computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blono

Technical User
Jun 22, 2012
US
So I've been downloading a fair bit of music from Amazon and other sites like KazaGold to listen to on the computer. My old Google Nexus One has been working fine for a while and I decided to move some music to the phone so I could listen to it in the car, but connecting the phone to the computer doesn't seem to be working - I'm used to the "Windows detected new hardware" message or similar pop-up that appears when I hook up something to the USB port like a digicam, but this doesn't seem to be happening with the phone. I don't have another computer readily accessible to try troubleshooting with, so I'm hoping for some suggestions in that regard. The USB port is definitely OK (my camera works - but it has a different USB jack than the phone does, so I can't try using its cable with the phone) but I got the same result with the other USB port and the phone - no recognizing that the phone is hooked up. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Somewhere in the phone settings are options for what to do when connected to USB.

Like Mint said.
The USB port on an Android phone normally looks sort of like a camera to any connected computer.
You have to intervene manually to make it look like a thumbdrive so you can copy to it.
E.g. under Settings | More | USB Utilities | USB Mass Storage
... or something like that.
Toggle that before connecting the phone to the computer, which should then recognize the phone as a storage device.

Other ways (depending on model and OS):
[ul]
[li]Settings | Connect to PC[/li]
[li]Drag down from the top of the screen where you see alerts, select the USB Connected option, and click Mount[/li]
[/ul]

Regards,
Mike Lazarus
ACT! Evangelist
GL Computing, Aust
Join the LinkedIN ACT! Fanatics Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back