Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Phone in remote site times out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ITfromZX81

Programmer
May 18, 2004
CA
Hi everyone,

Here's a fun problem:

We have one user at a remote site - he is setup with a 4602 IP Phone which connects directly to a router. He does not have an IPO Appliance in his office, just one phone.

He is then treated as an extension on the main office but with a different prefix so that we can redirect the call to his location via an IP subnet.

The problem is that his phone stops working after about an hour. His computer works fine and is hooked up to the same router. If he unplugs and plugs his phone back in it works again for about an hour.

I created a duplicate setup in my test lab and I get the same problem.

We use a Watchguard V60L router in our main office, and this contains a tcp_idle_timout setting to stop a connection if there is no traffic, which I had set to 3600 seconds, as recommended on their site(the default 3 minute setting tended to timeout all kinds of things). Watchguard, however, suggests that the keepalive messages between tcp peers instead of forcing it, no doubt to lower the open connections.

Is there any way to tell an IP 4602 to do this? I don't really like the idea of increasing the tcp_idle_timeout to a huge number, and this would still be a stopgap, not a solution.

Thanks,

ITfromZX81

Does the phone have a statci IP address or is it getting one from the DHCP server?

I dunno if anyone out there has an answer for this one.

In the test lab I setup the same thing with a Watchguard router and it still doesn't work - it times out after a few hours.

Has anyone at all be able to successfully connect an Avaya IP phone at a remote location into an IPO at a main site?

Thanks,

Have you tried runnimng phone manager at the remote site?, the comunicttion to the IPO my then be enough to keep the connection open

I have also experienced this on 4602 on earlier versions, 2.1(27) and before. An upgrade to the latest 2.1 releases solved the issue.

If you're already on one of the newest releases, then just forget this posting!

Merry christmas everyone ;-)

I have this same problem with a sonicwall tz170.

When you say 4602 version 2.1(27) are you talking about the ip office version or the firmware for the phone version?

I'm running 3.0(59) on the ip office and it has the same issues as are being described.

If I reboot the phone it works again, but on reboot says the extension is in use press # to register then starts working.

I have read a lot of posts in this forum about IP phones discovering and losing connection to the IP office. I too have had all these problems. I set up a customer with the 56xx series phones and had no problems what so ever. Since, I have gone back to customers who had 46xx series phones and replaced them with 56xx phones and have yet to have any problems with the exception of reseting routers occaisionally and the 56xx's come right back up and working.
I know this may not be financially available for some techs and programmers out there, but the trips I have saved benefit me in the long run.

Dizzy

OK, from what I now know the ip phone I have is a 4602 with an old firmware.

Does anyone know the process of upgrading the firware on these puppies. I'm told this will fix the problem of the phones loosing connectivity.

I found firmwares for them, but they seem to have instructions directed to the communication manager products. Will these firmwares work properly with ip office?

The IP Phones need a look at a TFTP server to see if they need upgrade, if they see new files, they will upgrade automatically. With IP Office, you can just expand the files you downloaded from Avaya at the Manager's working directory, then point the file server address on the phone to your Manager PC and then it will upgrade. You can see in the display the upgrade process, and on the TFTP log in Manager.

The phone should upgrade by it self. I have 4620 and updated by it self. To upgrade firmware:
1. Open manager on your voicemail server
2. Specify that ip (voicemail server) as your tftp server in the phone setup.
3. Once you boot your phone, it will detect new version of firmware and load it by it self.

Make sure your TFTP address in phone is the same as the ip address of the machine you are running VM on. And make sure your Manager is open. You don't need to log in. Let us know how it worked.

yes but to get the firmware upgrade you have to upgrade the admin software on the vmpro setup

I just did the upgrade on mine to see if it helps.

Hi all,

I don't think the problem is linked with IP4602 firmware version.
Whatever, upgrade the firmware.Read AVAYA doc for process

We have experienced the same issue with IP4602 and IP Office403DS linked by a VPN.
The VPN routers were Netasq100 but we've also experienced with other routers or firewalls.

The phone was well working during a given time and then stops.

It was due to TCP/UDP sessions timeout.
This timeout is set in the VPN router/firewall.

You can try several things :
1-Deactivate the firewall if possible
2-If not possible, unable the TCP session timeout (cf the router manufacturer hotline)
3-If nor possible, Change the routers...

In a first time you can sercj the router config for a time out which is set to 3600 sec.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back