Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Phone goes to HandsFree when wireless headset hangs up

Status
Not open for further replies.

planeternie

Technical User
Jan 29, 2013
Hi all.

I've recently purchased a wireless headset and lifter for my Norstar M7310 office phone at work. The headset works well with only one small problem. I can answer calls with the headset via the lifter system but when I hang up using the headset button, the phone activates the handfree function and I have to manually disconnect the handsfree function on the phone itself.

I've tried searching the net for an answer but all avenues have proved fruitless. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Paul.

I've used a Plantronics make headsets with lifters and I think I remember having to press the button on the headset twice to hang up. It's been awhile but it's worth a shot.

Jeremy J. Carter
Charm City Communications
Norstar. BCM. CS1000 Programmer

Things to check for: -auto handsfree (as opposed to standard handsfree)
-make sure handset lifter is hanging up properly on cutoff switch
-make sure cord from wireless tower is plugged into handset port on back of
set and not headset port

thanks for the button pressing twice suggestion but that doesn't cure the problem.

as for the auto/manual handsfree suggestion, would anyone know how to disable auto handsfree on this phone? i'm looking at the phone's manual as I type but am struggling to find a way of disabling this function.

Be sure your headset amp is plugged into the HANDSET port on the phone. Then plug the handset into the headset amp. The mistake often made with wireless headsets is plugging them into the HEADSET port on the phone.

Marv ccna

On the M7310, there can be only one speech path active at a time: either the handset, the headset or handsfree.

Sorry about that incomplete post, I must have accidentally hit the Submit button.

So, I was saying that there is only one speech path at a time. The headset and handsfree paths cannot be both active: when you plug a headset, the phone uses the headset path and the handsfree path is disabled. Conversely, when you unplug the headset, the phone uses the handsfree path and the headset path is disabled. The phone has the ability to detect that something is plugged into the headset jack.

What happens now is that when you disconnect the call on your headset, the phone thinks that the headset has been unplugged. It then switches the path from headset to handsfree.

As allworkguy said, you have to plug the headset into the handset jack. That way, when the lifter picks up the receiver, the phone uses the handset path, which will actually be connected to the headset.

thanks for all your responses to my issue.

first thing this morning, i changed over the headset/handset connections but unfortunately this didn't work. the lifter did it's job as usual but both the handset and the receiver weren't able to connect. it's a real shame that i can't overcome this problem as the headset is almost the perfect solution for our needs in the office.

keep throwing the ideas my way :)

You're almost there: unplug the handset from the headset jack (and leave it unplugged).

spot on multimedium!!! the handset now works perfectly. it's a shame that i can't use the handset. i'm just going to laugh my socks off when someone in the office tries to answer my phone with an unconnected handset :)

again, many thanks for all your input.

paul.

You can still use the handset. There is a port on the bottom of headset amp for the handset. Put the headset in it's charger and you can now use the handset.

Marv ccna

allworxguy...you are the man as well!!! my phone system is now working just as i wanted it. cheers for all the help and advice :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back