Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Phone drops during long number entries 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tnestel

Programmer
May 10, 2012
US
IPO R11 with digital phones and analog lines. The customer routinely calls an automated service, follows prompts, and enters long number strings. During this process, the call will drop and he has to call in and start over. If he uses his cell phone instead, there is no drop. Any ideas on what might cause that and how to fix?

Is it possible the system supports some sort of built-in coding for entered digits, and the user happens to enter that digit or set of digits during that long series of digits, and that happens to be connected to a disconnect/drop command? Sounds crazy, but the problem sounds pretty crazy.
btw, I have no background with Avaya. Look here very occasionally out of curiosity.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Thanks for the reply, you have given me something to look at. I will see if a shortcode exists that disconnects calls. :)

Twice in the last year I had an issue where a customer's embedded Automated Attendant would answer but seemingly not respond to the digits pressed. The choice timer would expire and send calls to the Operator and carry on a voice conversation. I went to the site and listened with my test set and, oddly enough, the digits were not being passed. Turns out that there was some bizarre parameter in the way the carrier implemented SIP that had to be corrected. Audio passed but DTMF did not. To be clear, it was SIP "in the middle" and was being transported over coax using DOCSIS/MoCa backbone then converted by an Arris modem to mimic and present the POTS lines.

Tim Alberstein

kjv1611, I think you were right. I removed a "drop call" shortcode and today the accountant did not get disconnected. It might take a few more rounds to prove the theory completely, but I am confident that the issue is solved. Thank you! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back