Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Phone delay

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrewJJers

Technical User
Nov 30, 2007
US
Hello- Hopefully someone call help me or steer me in the right direction because I am stumped. I have a phone here (5212IP upgraded from a 5010IP with same problems) that occasionally has a voice delay. We can hear the caller but the caller cannot hear us. After some time they can hear us but most times the person hangs up.

Like I mentioned above, I've swapped phones, even changed the model, I've changed the phone extension, I've changed the physical location of the phone so it was using different data cable back to the hub room and have also changed the data cable plugging it into the wall. No one else has ever complained about a phone delay.

Any ideas????

System Information: 3300 with software rls 6.1.5.4

Are you using DHCP to assign the phone it's IP address, or is that being statically assigned? What kind of network gear are you plugging in to? I'm assuming you've already made sure the network port for this phone is configured the same as a working one.

Yes we are using DHCP. We use HP ProCurve switches. Yes we've checked the port programming and even changed ports at the switch of course with no luck.

Left field here, but does the user have a headset?

I've run into delayed speech on DNIC and IP due to headsets.

Occam's Razor - All things being equal, the simplest solution is the right one.

No you're not in left field because she actually does have a headset. But it happens with and without.

I wish I could remember the specifics of my delayed speech issue. ACD was involved as well somehow, but it was ages ago.

It might have had something to do with where the headset was plugged in. Amplified headsets should be plugged into the Handset jack not the headset set jack or some such.

Occam's Razor - All things being equal, the simplest solution is the right one.

It could be the actual CAT 5 cabling it's self, make sure the cable run is no longer than 90meters.

Also, have you tried connecting the problem handset into a socket that you know is working.

Thanks for the responses. Her headset was plugged into the "headset" port but now I've switched it to go through the amplifier. We'll see how that works.

I know it's not more than 90 meters, we have very strict wiring guidelines, plus the wiring has been checked.

We had a similar problem. We swapped the headset, handset, floorport and switchport but could not resolve the issue. The only thing that did not change was the PC that was plugged into the phone. Strangley the fault disappeared and we never got to the bottom of it.

Speech problems are almost everytime related to routing problems
So that would be the first thing i would look for

ACA - Implement IP Office
ACA - Voice Services Management

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back