Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Phaser Hard drive duplication

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichelLopez

Technical User
Jan 4, 2005
FR
Just in case, I found a free tool that seems to be able to duplicate those disks.... (still seaking the correct imaging software..)

Bad news (for me) the 2 disks need to be connected to the system...

Since my original one is really dead, it's closed case for me right now.

If you have this kind of disk just remember to duplicate it before it's too late...

If anybody can provide a valid phaser 860 hard drive image file that would be the cooliest thing for me...

Thanks

ML

It is the program HD.exe available from the Xerox website. It will whipe the drive clean and install the nessesairy file(s)(-system).
Just put the new harddrive in a working printer and run the program from a computer connected to it.

Thanks for this, but when you have an almost dead drive and a not working printer this could help....

Ml

Then i don't understand why you want to do this.
What is on the disk that makes it so valuable?

The printer will also work without the drive(board), so first make your printer working, then install a fresh drive and make the filesystem on it. After that install the extra fonts if you need them.

The printer clears this drive (that is mostly only used for colated duplexing) everytime a printjob has finished or on a reset. There can be some fonts on there, if you did put them there, and you can have a permanent startjob on it.

I think it is much more logical to first repair your printer instead of the hardrive.
If you can tell me a really good reason for doing this i will consider screwing the hardrive out of my spare printer and make a disk image of it. Then we only have to think about how to send this 2Gb file (mybe it can be compressed)

ok for that.

But I was thinking, after browsing this forum that some of the needed system files has to be on this hard drive, and that it could be an explanation to why my printer is not booting anymore.

Thanks

Ml

No there is nothing nessesairy on it. All the system files etc. are on the bootrom and the motherboard.

It is only an extra option for the basic model of the printer for duplexing, storing fonts and the posibility to have a startup job. Without the HDD it just will not have this options.

Forgot to say:
If you have the HDD out also have the HDD-board out. Don't have it in wihtout the HDD.

interresting, can you explain "HDD-board" ?

Does it have some thing to do with the main board ? or are you reffering to the electronic directly form the hard drive ?

Thanks

Ml

The 'HDD-board' has a PCI646U2 IC on it to convert the IDE to the PCICIA slot of the mainboard. It is a HDD controller.
For the rest is has no logic function for the mainboard.

I didn't test it. But since the board and the HDD are always together, i think the printer can be confused if it detects the controller but the harddrive is bad OR[/] not connected to it.
That CAN cause a disfunctioning printer. (but i din't test it ;-) )

With the 'HDD-board' i mean the support board with the PCI like contacts on it that the HDD is screwed on with the metal plate on the other side that covers the slot in the printer.

ok now I see what you both mean.

But it is not my configuration.

On my phaser the hard drive is/was directly mounted on "main board" (I think, in fact the one where the lan parallel or usb cable connect to), is is located on a piggy board plastic support, on the right if you look at this board having the pcmcia connector at the left side...

And there is nothing in those 2 "look like pci" slot...

Any special config to disble this hard drive ?

maybe it need to boot from something in the Pcmcia slot ?

Thanks

Ml

Ah,
I knew the 840, 850 and 860 model have slight differences.
But i was not aware that it is also the HDD mounting (and maybe the use of program on it).
Also the partlist website of the 840, 850, 860 and 8200 doesn't show it. Also not about a cable inbetween HDD and mainboard. Also if the HDD is internal standard in there it might be posible that the 860 uses system files from the drive.
But the website says something about the drives for 850 and 860 and 'programmed'.
I think i can not help you anymore, since i have 840's and the service manuals for this one.

yes it is listed it seems to be the 860DP, having this internal hard drive because ou the build in duplex I think. (called MDX configuration on my serial...)

Thanks

Ml

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back