Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Phaser 860DP black ink is faint or not on print outs at all

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisServo

Technical User
Mar 15, 2004
GB
Hello,

I am currently trying to fix a Xerox Textronix Phaser 860DP that is printing all colours properly except black (most of the time its faded and sometimes not there at all). I have tried eliminating light stripes a few times but it has no effect.

I also had a look under the ink loader cover and found that the black ink melter is not heating up to the same temperature as the cyan, yellow and magenta ones could this be causing the problem?

Any help or tips would be appriciated.

Thanks in advance
Chris

First check the printhead and ensure that the reservoir is full of ink, if not you may have an ink loader problem. If full, print the diagnostic test print, where it shows all the jets for each color. For the black ink jet bank on top, is there massive jet failure, 10 or more weak /missing jets? If so it sounds like there was 3rd party ink usage. If customers use a 3rd party ink but continue to use the Xerox black this will cause black to fail due to a compatability problem. If this is the case then the only remedy is printhead replacement. I have seen this before a number of times and I have had no succes recovering the jets.

Hello,

thanks for the help I tried an ink loader from another printer and its continuing to do the same thing, so I think its the printheads.

Is there a Strip Down guide for the printer? or can anyone explain how to strip it down?

Regards
Chris

I wouldnt try to strip down the printer without a manual, Im in the process of doing that right now. Looks to be a bit more tricky than the standard HP's Ive worked on.

I am having the same problem with an 850, and all the reservoirs are full. The color that is not printing fully is blue. When I print out a blue page, I get mostly a red page with a streak of blue. I cleaned the sensor on the top silver roller and checked for any chunks of ink on the inkloader sensor. All checked out fine. I even ran all tests on the LCD screen.

I also tried printing out 50 blue pages with no luck ( it just kept on printing a red page with a blue streak).

Does this sound like I need to replace the printer heads?

Any help or tips would be appriciated.

Thanks in advance
Joe

replacing a print head would cost more that a new 8400 plus is job that only experienced/certified technicians should do

cheers

The print head costs 699 and I am experienced. Fixing printers is easy compared to fixing a car. :)

what currency ?
you can buy a 8400 for 999U$D

anyway have you ever fixed a solid ink printer?

and i'm not talking of little jobs like chaging a cover or a boards

replace the print head on this machine is a nasty job even for a experienced technicial

If the head has failed due to use of a 3rd party ink as I suspect based on the symptoms you describe then Xerox is apt to charge you full price for the printhead, $1700. Xerox has a new pricing policy for replacing the heads which have failed in the use of their ink. For an 850 the cost is $650 which includes parts and labor and this done by one of their techs or a certified SDP which they will dispatch. They will not sell to you unless you are an ASP and in which case your net cost is $525 after you return the defective head to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back