Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Phaser 860 misaligned printing.. very bad 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

yster

Technical User
Aug 5, 2004
US
I just pulled an 860 out of an old office and after I set it back up, audited the maintenance kit and tray, and loaded some new ink, I encountered some expected light stripes. After running the appropriate routine, most of the light stripes were gone, so I started round 2. I noticed that the test page was a little off center, but I didn't take any notice of it...

during this round of cleaning the unit started making extremely loud repetitive clicking. I crossed my fingers, but to no avail. The resulting print run ran a page of drips, then the report. It looks like the printhead was miscalibrated; sections of the print were running on top of each other in a vertical fashion. Not good at all.

I removed the tray and found that there was a bunch of wax drips on the roller, but the wiper was fairly lubed. I cleaned this up and reinstalled the drawer.

I ran the printhead calibration maneuver one more time as I saw that there was still a clogged jet, and this time it did not sound as horrible, but the print came out in the same fashion. I ran the self diagnostics, and they completed, but the printing is still off, split up into 4 distinct vertical permutations that don't line up.

If anyone here knows of what might have happened, how to remedy this manually, or can even take a guess at any of my questions, I would fanatically appreciate it. I do not want to start taking this unit apart without instruction but will have to resort to doing so if my queries are fruitless :( Thanks in advance,

/y

Well, today I tried powering the printer on again as I recall that it might attempt to do some adjustments to itself that it might not do during its self diagnostics. The error code I have received is this:

06,000.41:1342

..any ideas?

...I've located this code in a service manual and it seems it's leading to the X-axis motor.

Does anyone know any tips on how to service these? really it just appears that it's miscalibrated; I'd like to give it a crack..

Sounds like the x-axis motor isn't moving the printhead from left to right. (this could be a mechanical or electrical problem)

I looked up the error code in the manual for you:
Indication that the motor coil(s) is open or shorted, or the X-axis motor fuse has opened. Follow the procedure "Testing motor and solenoid resistances", on page 84 of this manual. Try diagnostics to verify X-axis movement. If there is not any movement, it is propable that the fuse is defective. The fuse is located in the power control board; the whole baord should be replaced.

To enter diagnostics, go to the support menu -> service tools -> press and hold the "up" button while you simultanously press the down button. This will give you access to a new menu which allows you to enter service diagnostics and test the x-axis movement (printhead from left to right).

So it could be any of the following things:
- something is physically preventing the printhead from moving
- the x-axis motor is faulty (remove right cover)
- the fuse on the power control board is gone and you should replace the whole board

I had to change the Drum Pre-Heater bulbs on an 860 and I started with the wrong directions and removed the print-head first. Once I found the real location of the bulbs and reassembled the printer, it started printing out of alignment. After reading this post I decided to check the print head to see if "something is physically preventing the print head from moving" and there it was, I routed the yellow cable incorrectly. Once the print head was free to travel it began printing like it was brand new.

Thanks for the post

Beware of programmers carrying screwdrivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back