Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Phaser 860 - Jams - Front/top cover - related to Rapid Release Guide? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Risasi

Vendor
Jan 14, 2005
US
*** Phaser 860 - Jams - Front/top cover - related to Rapid Release Guide *** -Added for search lookup.

Hello all,

I've got a rather odd problem that I can't seem to find an answer to elsewhere. Or by scouring the forums here. My basic problem is a printer jam. But unlike any I've seen. (Well with my limited experience with Phasers) To sum it up the jam is occuring nearly every time. And when it does occur the page will have been haphazardly folded a half inch from the top, and will have fed UNDERNEATH the Rapid Release Guide blade (part 11a, 11b), meaning of course the paper won't flow over the Rapid Release Guide (part 13). Meaning it can't eject the paper. And of course just crinkles it into one jumbled up mess. To remove the jam it tells me to remove via front door. Which I can do without event.

When the jam does not occur the page will make through, but with a slight fold a half inch from the top of the page, a third over from the right. Roughly a two inch crease. Barely noticeable. As if it got stuck on something on the way past the Rapid Release Blade.

Now I have jammed the top cover switch down and run some pages through to see exactly what is going on. It appears that either; A: The Rapid Relase Blade does not go down far enough and the paper goes underneath. Or; B: The Blade is out of sync and goes down just a hair too early for the paper feed to be reliable.

I don't really understand the underlying mechanics of how the paper flows through the machine. Is it possible that the paper is supposed to go underneath the Guide Blade in certain circumstances, say for duplexing? Or is it always supposed to flow over the Guide Blade and RR Guide? If so has anyone else had this experience?

A few other things of note;

1. I can run an Auto Diagnostics on the unit all day long and the paper feed test will pass every time.

2. Could some other worn part, say on the tray assembly, or drum, etc. etc. be causing the timing to be off by just enough that the Guide Blade goes down at the wrong time?

Any help that can be provided would be appreciated.

-Bryan

Okay, I have some more details. I decided to look at the Diagnostics menu again and found a Paper Timing test.
It fails the test:

------------------------
Test Fault
R0:0
Display full-press key to page
R1:0
R2:0
R3:0
R4:0
Display full-press key to page
R5:0
R6:678
Press any key to continue
R0:638
R1:9
R2:202
R3:164
---------------------------------

Huh. Weird. Any thoughts. Also any takes on why it would repeat R0 - R3?

I assume these are sensors that the paper is passing, so I would also assume that a 0 readout is good. But to be honest I have no idea. Also the second pass on the R0 - R3 readout, the numbers are not always consistent. They vary within a point or two of the numbers I posted.

I also tried a Paper Drive test. I won't do that again. Test failed, and then the whole unit stopped responding. I couldn't reset it or anything. I just had to power off. Then power back on and reset to Diagnostics Mode again.

Have you check the solenoid on the upper right side. The arm on the solenoid latches on to a white cam. There's a black pad on the solenoid that gets gummy and sticky, this causes the arm to not release quick enough to latch on to the cam. put a thin piece of tape over the pad will solve your jamming problem.
Also check the maintenance drawer, there's an arm on the sides that lifts the oil roller up. If the arms are worn more than 1mm then the maintenance drawer requires replacement because the oil roller is not making good contact with the drum and could be causing the paper to stick to the drum. The left and right drawer guides could be broken.

Andrew

One other thing is to check the rapid release guide blade, make sure that it's not damaged or is curved.

Andrew

Thanks for the quick response. I shall give that a shot and see what happens. I know exactly what cam you are talking about, and there was some goop on it. I just didn't think it was enough to cause any problems.

However that does remind me, I noticed that there are two levers attached to the Rapid Release Guide Blade Assembly and Guide Blade shaft. The Guide Blade Assembly lever is spring loaded. This spring has a hook on the end. As if it should attach to something. But I don't see anything to hook it to. I don't know, perhaps they put it there to allow for easy installation onto the lever? But that would be a first for someone to design something making it easy to install, especially a spring.

Update:

Okay, I tried adding some tape to the arm. The pad on the solenoid is not gummy in the least, but did seem to be permanently compressed. It was just where the arm attaches to the cam that I saw gunk. Adding the tape was no help with the jam, but did alter the location is which the paper would be jammed.

The guide blade still seems to raise far too quickly, as the paper was still getting bent at the top. Which to me still indicates that somehow the timing has changed on the solenoid. Anybody know what controls the actual timing and how to change it?

I also checked the guide blade as I suspected it from the get go. The clear plastic blade looks fine. But by bending the blade itself down I was able to alleviate the jam from occurring underneath the guide blade, at least for a few pages. Then it would occur again, and if I bent it back down I could get a few more pages. Anyway by doing this it would make it past the guide assembly just to get jammed coming out of the exit tray.

This might have to do with the roller not being clean at this point. Slowing the paper down. The unit is now calling for a maintenance kit. And the roller is filthy. And I am out of ink cartridges. I think I'll order the Extended Maintenance Kit, this should resolve any issues with the Maintenance Drawer being worn. And while I am at it dig up some more ink, and also a new guide blade. I know I saw one yesterday for about $40.

Still, anyone know how to adjust timing? I suspect something has jumped a few gears somewhere.

The maintenance drawer and the maintenance kit is totally diferent. The maintenance kit contains an oil roller and a counter and is installed in the maintenance drawer. The end of life maintenance kit could be causing some of your jamming problem because it' not oiling the drum causing the paper to stick.

Did you check the maintenance drawer, there's an arm on the sides that lifts the oil roller up. If the arms are worn more than 1 mm then the maintenance drawer requires replacement because the oil roller is not making good contact with the drum and could be causing the paper to stick to the drum. The left and right drawer guides could be broken.

Andrew

Gotcha,

Yeah, I meant ordering a maintenance drawer and new roller. I have since ordered a new extended roller kit, this should be in tomorrow. I also tried some further testing. I ran the paper timing test without doing a printer warmup, it makes it through now after I tweaking the guide blade. So I suspect once I get that gunk cleared off of the roller it should work.

I double checked the maintenance drawer and it didn't look all that worn. So I am going to skip it for now and see if the minor changes, plus a new roller fix the problems.

Thanks for your help.

Okay I have an update.

Friday everything was working great with the new ext. maintenance kit. I printed out a whole bunch of test pages. So I go to put the printer back in place and I am getting an error now: 07,005.47:43***

It will print maybe two pages, then receive this error. The pages no longer jam, and the print quality is good.

If I Google this error I see DM problems, DM clutch. Maint drawer, etc, etc.

I ran two diagnostics;
-----------------------------
DM Cycle: Rarely passes, mostly fails
Engine Reported Fault: 0x3C05
pm fault: enum=5 (0x05)
Drum Maintenance Axis Performance: Fails
Check Clutch Disengage
Fault
R0:1
R1:699
R2:24
R3:52
R4:5

I double checked the maintenance drawer again. Though there is wear, if I combine wear on both the drawer tabs and the cam roller lifters it is certainly much less than 1mm. So I don't think that is it.

So I am guessing DM Clutch is going? Or could it be something I did moving it back to office that it belongs in? I had to drive it several miles across town, on the front seat. Didn't fall or anything, but of course I had to lift it in and out of my front seat. And it did sit in my car for about four hours this morning. It was roughly 30 degrees outside.

Anyway that is the latest update. So if anybody has any other ideas let's hear them.

Also I got to thinking about the wear on the maintenance drawer, and lifters. I am going to dig up some of those vinyl endcaps, you know like the ones they use for putting over exposed bolts, or on the exposed rods of wirerack shelving.

Risasi.

Did this error come up before servicing? To check, you can print out the usage profile and look at the engine error log and jam error log. But it sounds like the drum maintenance clutch is bad. If it was 30 degrees Farenheight, did you wait for the printer to warm up before turning the power on because there might be condensation. Also the printer requires about 30 minutes to cool down before moving or else the liquid ink will spill.

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Did the error appear bofore servicing? No, it didn't. In fact it went from working great on Friday, to that error occurring Monday morning.

As for waiting for the printer to warm up before power on, and waiting to move, yes on both counts. I had powered the unit off Friday night, then picked it up early yesterday morning. It sat in my car for about 4 hours. The temp at the time was about 30 degrees, but warmed up to 40-50 by 9am or 10am. I waited until the unit was room temperature before I even plugged the power cord in. And then the unit spent another 30 minutes warming up.

I think I'll just order a drum maintenance clutch and be done with it. Any good places to order from? It doesn't look like they are directly available on Xerox's website.

I do not think you will be able to order it. Xerox usually does not sell parts to you unless you are an authorized service center. You can try goggling the part number and see what you get. The part number is 650-4288-00. Make sure you get the updated version, it is two separate pieces held together for shipping with a twist tie.

Okay, I figured I better add closure to this post.

The printer has been working now for well over 6 months. It was the drum maintenance clutch. I replaced that and had to tweak the maintenance tray, due to wear on the arms that slide inside the rails. No problems sinec then. Thanks for all the help.

Risasi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back