Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Phaser 860 Bad PrintHead

Status
Not open for further replies.

jthomas79

IS-IT--Management
Oct 24, 2003
US
I have a Phaser 860 with a bad printhead. Xerox wants $1700 to repair it. Any Ideas I can try?

Thanks!

buy a new 8200, which accepts smaller inkstix with no free black for € 999.00 or find a second hand, which is not easy to find.
corq

Buy a 8200, switch over the inkloader from your 860 so you can keep using your old ink.. and keep the 860 for spare parts in case the 8200 breaks down.

What's up with the printhead b.t.w.?

What is the problem whit your printhead. Do you have an error code or bad image.
Dany

Dany1,

It is a bad image problem. There's a verticle band -- light stripe -- about an inch from the left edge of the page. It is the cyan color that is not getting through. I have thought about taking it out and blowing it with compressed air. Or I even hear about heating the printhead up and the putting it into a freezer.

Any Ideas?

have you tryed to run eliminate light stripes from the menu under troubleshooting, or let the printer cool down for 24 hours and then power up. Olso check if the vacuum is ok. if not check the cap/wipe/purge unit for broken parts. Putting it in to the freezer when hot or cold seem not a good idea, there are very sensitive components on the printhead. Dany

Dany,

Yes I have tried the eliminated light strips routine. I turned the printer off for at least 12 hours and nothing. What is the Cap/Wipe/Purge? I would like to check it if I knew what it is.

What sensitive parts are on the printhead. My understanding is that the printhead is several plates of metal with channels in them for the ink to flow. If it is solid metal what would be the risk in putting it in the freezer?

Thanks for you help!

cap/wipe/purge is thad unit thad is placed on the printhead while cleaned. Where to find, op the front accesdoor and remove the maintenance drawer, If you look inside the printer just below the drum you wil see the CWP.
To remove it; remove the left and right cover, remove the inkloader and below the inkloader you find the printhead.
When you want absolutly no further damage to the printhead you can remove him. After you removed it you wil find the CWP, To move it upward thurn on the upper right clutch. Check the rubber side's on the CWP to see if the side's are broken, For the sensitive parts on the printer the are indeed metal plate but the filters inside going to 2 microns if any oxidation is inside the ink wil not pas easely whit lite stripe as a result. also if you do like you write, heat it up and placed in the freezer, the metal can crack. It is going from 130 degrees in to -20 degrees in a short time, it is almost the same like spilling hot water on a frozen window. in hope of any help. Dany

If you swap the ink loader to the 8200 you will end up trashing the p/head on the 8200. A finer filter in the base of the P/head exists within the 8200 compared to the 860 and the Solid Ink was tweeked to suit. Using the less fine Ink of the 860 will clock this filter & cause a before life failure.

The ink for the 860 & 8200 is chemically the same, trust me on that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back