Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Phaser 850 Error code 13,017.47 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtp59

Technical User
Nov 25, 2004
US
Can someone please tell me what this error code means, I purchased a used 850N That arived printing black only with no error codes. Diagnostic test page had only black no color bars. There were black inksticks in the yellow, red, and blue tray slots, and at some point ink had been spilled inside. By running the purge routine I was able to get yellow working and some red until I ran out of yellow Ink. Blue was not melting at all. While waiting for more Ink to arive, I removed the Printhead to clean out black ink and spilled ink.

Now I get the error code 13,017.47 on attempted startup. From other postings I gather that the 13, has to do with the printhead. I think this has something to do with the heaters or sensors relating to the printhead, but I have not been able to find any postings having to do with 017.47.

Did I reassemble something wrong or have I broken something. Continuity testing on all heaters seem to read OK and the Thermistor changes resistance with temp.

Any infomation about this error code and possible fixes would be welcome, as I do not have access to a service manual for this printer.

Thanks Randy

Service Manual says: "The thermistor in the right jet stack appears to be open. Check the printhead cabling. Replace the printhead."

Sorry I had to include that last part but that's what it says. Hopefully it's the cabling.

Jim

Thanks Jim

The Thermistor would be the heating coil ribbon behind the metal plate in the Printhead? I will check it out, along with the wires. I was afraid it had to do with the circut board being toast.

Randy

I've never worked on the printhead and the service manual does not provide any details on it. Maybe someone else will chime in. Sorry.

The ribbon cable is just a data cable. The other cable will be the one that provides power to the printhead. You can check it out but my experience has been it is the printhead which will be the problem.

Thanks Marty5261

The cables all seem to be OK on the printhead-ink chamber assembly there is a yellow bundle of cables that connect to the 4 heater coils in the ink chamber the heater coils seem to be protected by a temperature protection device the yellow wires attach to one side and the white leads to the 4 heaters attach to the other side. There is also a brown 3 wire connector that attaches to the back side of the printhead faceplate. I believe these power heaters behind the faceplate.

Also there are two thin black wires that come out of the bottom of the Ink chamber and connect to a 4 pin jack on the top of the printed circut board that attaches to the printhead face plate by the wide ribbon cable. Is this the "thermistor" that the error message is talking about or is the thermistor something built into the faceplate? The only other attachment is for the 4 ink level sensors on the top of the ink chamber.

Has anyone tried to repair this thermistor or is the only option a new printhead?

Randy

Randy,

The print head thermistors are not easily serviceable; techs replace the print head.

Quite a bad sign that the previous owner filled it with black ink; I wouldn'tve touched it with a 10 foot pole. Is this an "Ebay" purchase?

ifixprinters

ifixprinters

Well it looks like I will be looking for an refurbished/used printhead. I wish I had your 10 ft pole. It was an E-bay purchase but fortunately I didn't pay much for the printer. The Seller offered to have me ship it back and he would refund me, but shipping is almost as much as I paid for it.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Randy

I just bought a Phaser and Googled this website. Reading the posts around 860 Phaser brought this thread to my attention. FWIW, I encounter thermistors in my McDonald's Restaurant contracts. They are usually thermally limiting switches. I believe the post reference in the thread that refers to "there is a yellow bundle of cables that connect to the 4 heater coils in the ink chamber the heater coils seem to be protected by a temperature protection device the yellow wires attach to one side and the white leads to the 4 heaters attach to the other side." is a description of a thermistor. If you can reach the points across this device, you can likely check each circuit path with an ohm meter. The switches are normally closed. You should show continuity (0 ohms). Thermistors can act as self-resetting fuses. If they do not reset themselves, a need for replacement condition will exist. For testing purposes,I have wired across a blown thermistor just to check for equipment operation. I would never permanently wire across a thermistor protection switch. Hope this helps, good luck.
2trepxe

2trepxe

As it turns out the thermistors that this error code refer to are built into the print head they are epoxied onto the back of the faceplate and are NOT replaceable. If you get this error your printhead is toast. Fortunately I was able to locate a used parts printer that had a working printhead at a reasonable cost, and I am now getting beautiful printouts, after a month of frustration.

rtp59

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back