Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Phaser 780 need a gear

Status
Not open for further replies.

techwrtr2

Technical User
Jul 29, 2004
US
I have a Phaser 780 with a split gear on the fuser drawer. Service manual shows no individual part numbers for tht drawer, not even for the whole drawer. Gear is the black on on the side of the drawer. Any notion of what a part number is?

I don't have service manuals handy at the moment, but hopefully this will help you out anyway.
These gears are used as a mechanical fuse within these models, they are designed to be the first ones to break in that particular drive train. Tektronix never considered giving these gears seperate part numbers (you have to order a complete fuser tray i believe). However, Xerox designed the print engine of this printer and sold it to Tektronix. The Xerox DC4 (docucolor) uses the same print engine.. and after a while these gears got a spare part number as well.

There should be a white and a black gear (both tend to break after time).. I think they're cold ft1 and ft2 gear. I'm sorry, I don't have the part numbers handy. But if you call Xerox and ask for the part numbers for the ft1 and ft2 gear of the DC4 model.. you should be able to order them. They are exactly the same, but I can't remember which one is the black or white one. Xerox 2nd line Hardware Support will be able to tell you though.

I've never had good results with getting Xerox to talk to me, unless I'm calling the wrong people. Soemthing to do with not being a certified tech.

If any body can come up with the part number, even if it's for the whole tray, I'd love it.

Are you sure it's not the white one on the other end of the shaft thats bad? I've a part number for it 116-0991-00.
The only way to get the black one is to order a new fuser. I believe they still ship that gear with all new fusers. Later

The black and white gear definitely have a part number and can be ordered (although they are DC4 part numbers, they also fit the phaser 780.. ordering the complete fuser tray will be a waste of money and more expensive than you would expect).
Xerox -has- to give you the partnumber if you ask for it (I used to work for them supporting engineers & later also field service). These requests are always handeled by the escalated hardware support group in dublin (for the europe continent).. not sure how this works in the US. In europe you have to send a fax with a description of the part and they send you a fax as an answer with a complete disclaimer that they are not responsible for incorrect partnumbers etc, and the part number you need.. usually even with a phone number of a local place where you can source the part you need. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back