Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Phaser 780 fuser making loud clicking noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

evilroot

Vendor
Apr 30, 2005
US
I have a Phaser 780 Plus I'm working on for a client, which had two problems. One, the infamous second bias roller error (which I fixed easily enough with some lithium grease) and two a loud clicking noise coming from the fuser.

This one has me stumped. I've pulled apart the whole unit and couldn't find the culprit, but when you turn the drive gear with your fingers you can hear it distictly. It literally sounds like the gears are tearing something up, or perhaps slipping (though the printer seems to work properly nonetheless). Anybody seen this before? Any idea what could cause it?

After tearing down the whole thing to the individual gear level, I finally found the culprit. The clutch that controlled the fuser roll was broken inside, the metal roller had become seperated from the plastic gear. A little super glue and some while lithium grease . . . . she's good to go!

Can someone give me instructions on how to tear down the unit to repair/replace/lubricate the clutch Assy? I've been fighting with the unit tracking a longditudinal streak on the paper, after tearing down the unit I found that the Bias roller was FULL of used toner, I'm not sure if that points to an underlying problem, I replaced the bias roller but am starting to get occassional Error 24 messages I have no problem stripping the unit down but a little dirrection would help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back