Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Phaser 740 upgrade 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

egoldstone

Technical User
Feb 23, 2004
US

I recently purchased a lightly used Phaser 740 unit on eBay for parts and as a backup for our workhorse 740.

The main board in the newly acquired 740 sports ENGINE 23 vs. our current 740, which contains ENGINE 21, so in principle, I'd like to swap-in the "fresher" board. HOWEVER, I note on the configuration page of the newly acquired unit that the desirable "new" main board contains chips for the so-called "PLUS" model. Our current 740 is the "EXTENDED" version (and confirms that fact on its configuration page.)

QUESTION1: Can (and should) the desired EXTENDED firmware be moved from the old card in our existing printer to the newer board in the recently acquired 740 before using it? Does the discrepancy matter (i.e. will functioning be impacted if the firmware misidentifies the feature set as PLUS when it's actually EXTENDED?) If so, which chips get swapped in?

QUESTION2: There's a bank of four switches on these main boards. Do these switches control anything (memory access)? And if so, how should they be set?

Thanks for any experienced guidance!

If you swap the code rom from the older board to the replacement board, this should rectify your problem. It is the first slot close to the flasher plate on the main ESS board. It looks like a memory dimm but it has a sticker on it saying tektronix postscript. Your print features change a bit. The top config is the extended rom so if you have that ... swap it over.
The dip switches should be all set to 0

hi,
id it possible to upgrade the frmware of my phaser 740 ?
my microprogramme version is : 1.22 / 3.78 / 17 / 8.60 and i would like to know if a newer exists.
regards ;
fred

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back