Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Phaser 740 memory upgrade?.? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dominojoe

Technical User
Jan 10, 2003
US
I'm interested in upgrading memory on my phaser 740 from 64 to 128 or 256. What exactly will this do for me? Faster print times? And, how many slots are available. I looked every where for how-to's on memory upgrades and have had no luck. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
KK

The added memory will give you faster processing speed which is helpful when doing large graphic files. This will not change the actual print speed. The difference you may see may be negligable depending on what type of printing you are doing. The memory can be added directly on the main board, there are 2 memory slots, its just like adding memory to your PC. Print out a config sheet before and after the verify the printer sees the memory added, there is the chance it is not compatible and the printer will not read it.

Marty,

Thanks for the post. If it will save on processing thime that would be great! I can't find in the manual where the main board is. Is there anywhere that I could find a diagram of which panel to remove to see if I have a slot available?

The main board is the one where you plug your network connection or cable into and it can be removed from the rear. There are 2 screws which hold it in and it should slide right out, no need to remove any covers. Once out you will be able to see the memory slots. I recommend you leave the power cord plugged in, though power the printer off, to discharge any static electricity as you remove it.

Just to let you know I had to remove the back plastic cover because there were 2 screws under that cover. Easy to do however finding the memory to run in it was hard. In the end I used some old 128 IBM reg Memory.

hi,
i had 64 mo on my phaser 740.
i put an additional 128 memory in the second slot. when i print a configuration page, i can see it on slot "b" so it is well reconnized (i tried other sdram whic were not reconnized and did not appear on the configuration page). but the two moduls are not additional : i should have 64 mo (1st slot) + 128 mo (snd slot) = 192 mo and i have only 64 mo ! what is the problem ?
regards
frederic

Hello, I have added memory to several Phaser 740s. The memory must be PC100 SDRAM. PC 133 will not work. Also I doubt if server memory will work. I have some here and will try it in the morning. Also the slots will only take a max of 128mb in each slot. As has been said before, print out a config page. If it is not showing on the config page then the printer is not seeing it and will not be using it.
Cheers, James

hi,
i added a pc 133 128 mo ram siemen and it works to ! i tried many ohter sdram which didn't work to except siemens sdram (64/100 and 128/133). now i have 192 mbits but i don't really see the difference !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back