Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Phaser 740 Jam at C, Jam at D, Jam at E 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbg1

Technical User
Mar 23, 2004
US
I found a way to resolve the problem the Phaser 740 has of coming to a halt when one is in the middle of a job. See my FAQ

faq723-4994

Barb

Howdy Barb. Maybe you can help me.

I have a Phaser 850 that just recently started jamming in 2 places. So far I think they're coincidental and unrelated. It started jamming from the lower high-cap tray, but since cleaning the rubber pick rollers with alcohol pads this is infrequent. I guess I need to clean them more, and stop using the new box of recycled paper I bought. I can use it for our black-and-white HP Laserjet All-in-One without problems.

Even using higher quality paper, the second jam is much more frequent (80% of attempts) and is from the upper exit. The fully printed page comes out about 60%, stops, backs up an inch, comes back out an inch, and hangs up. All settings are appropriate (paper, not envelopes or double-side printing, etc.). All I do is open the exit door, remove the page, and close it up and it jams or not again, usually again. I cleaned the quick release, and I see no obstructions at all. I have about 85% left on the maintenance kit.

I show 15 faults in fault history, and the most recent 8 are:
22,703.05:61432 (they're all similar recent page counts)
22,306.15:
22,204.12:
22,700.02:
22,703.05:
23,133.60:
05,002.42:
06,011.65:

Thanks, Barb. Our 3-year free program expired a month ago, and I didn't pay $500 for another period because it was basically flawless for all 3 years. Literally 2 weeks later this started. Talk about planned obsolescence (or maybe punishment for not buying a maintenance contract...)! Any clues? The thing has become furniture all of a sudden. Best regards. Bill.

Sorry Bill,
I don't know anything about the Phaser 850. You might try to contact the man who helped me. He was on one of the Tektronix Forums. His name is:

2prosti (technical user).

Barb

Is jamming problem happening from the lower tray, the upper tray or both. The pickup rollers might be worn or the solenoid lever on the upper right side is sticking to the pad and not releasing.

Andrew

Howdy Printers2004. Thanks for taking time to respond.

I have been having jamming from both the lower hig-cap tray and under the exit cover. It's weird; they started pretty much at the same time and both are intermittent. But the main, more frequent problem is jamming halfway out the the exit cover with no apparent obstructions.

I recently thought I had found the source of the lower- tray jams when I had the tray out and discovered that there are some rollers on a movable arm that comes down into the paper tray from above. I had never looked UP inside the tray cavity.

After discovering them, I reached up to clean those 2 rollers with alcohol, and when I pulled the arm down, there was a single sheet of paper folded in half above them. No telling how long it had been there.

I removed the errant sheet, cleaned the rollers, and it didn't help the lower jamming at all! Still intermittent just as often. Still not sure what causes that one. It's acting like the single front roller still needs cleaning, even though I've cleaned it very thoroughly, because when I pull the tray out after the jam, the page has been pulled up some distance, and there is often a dark spot in the front center of the page where it looks like a roller couldn't get traction and rubbed the paper. Maybe that roller needs replacing. Not sure yet.

As for the upper exit jams, I tried cleaning and couldn't find any obstructions. It was really frustrating. Then I started reading way down the Tek-Tips threads and found another reference to 850 problems stemming from sensor 22, the main fault code I'm getting.

This relates to the little black plastic arm sticking up (like an Orca's fin out of the water; I'm in the Seattle area...) out of the blue plastic paper guide under the exit cover and over the drum area.

The arm is mounted on the paper guide and is spring loaded, and apparently in the neutral position does not obstruct the sensor (are they light driven, magnetic?). Then when the page slides out over the arm, the arm's base blocks the sensor, and when the page slides half-way out of the exit cover, the arm pops back to neutral and all is well for the next page.

Well, the note way down in the threads said the little spring can become weak and cause the base of the arm to snap back past neutral causing a false-positive jam and the page is halted halfway out like a jam happened. The note suggested taking a little bit of the spring out to tighten it. I did that and apparently took out too much because it started jamming EVERY page.

But, at least I had found the source of the problem, though. So I stretched the spring a little, and it still jammed every time. So I think the problem is that there is very little play to achieve the neutral position.

My next attempted fix was rather ill-fated. I decided to remove the arm and spring completely. But in the process I broke the little black plastic arm. After removing the jam detector, the pages stop deeper inside where the leading edge would push the arm over. So the arm is essential.

Then I called Xerox sales to buy the part, and they referred me to tech support to get the part number(s), and was told I had to pay $25 for tech support to look up the part number and relay me back to sales to buy it. I couldn't swallow that, so now I'm looking for the part number to get a new arm and new spring.

ANYONE KNOW HOW I CAN GET THE PART NUMBER (without paying $25)?

I think a new arm and spring will stop the upper jamming, but I'm still not sure what will fix the lower-tray paper-pull problem. It jams there regardless of the type of paper, and the fact that there is sometimes, not always, a dark rub spot about a quarter-inch wide and 2" long at front center says I either need to clean that roller more, or replace it. I've cleaned it several times to no avail. Thanks again! Bill.

I found the old item that connects the exit cover media jam to fault code 22:

marty5261 (TechnicalUser) Jan 20, 2004
The sensor flag that sits on the blue paper guide , under the exit door. it sticks straight up. This flag maybe bouncing causing a false jam. You can tighten up the spring by taking a few links out of it. Also fault history should show jam codes, they start with 22,xxx.xx.####(#### is the copy count)this number would help identify which sensor is causing the jam condition.

It sound like you need pickup rollers, they're worn out cleaning will only last a few pages. The Lower exit pivoting guide(blue guide) with the arm PN:351-1016-00.

Check the solenoid lever on the upper right side it may be sticking to the pad and not releasing.

Andrew

Howdy Andrew. Thanks a million (well, $25 in postwarranty tech support anyway) for the lower exit pivoting guide PN.

May I trouble you for the part PN for the pick-up rollers?

I did look at that upper-right solenoid lever and it moves freely. I would be able to see it sticking if it is, right?

Thanks, again, Andrew. I know there are others out there that need this info too. Best regards from Seattle. Bill.

Hello,

The part # for the lower pickup roller(2 rubber roller on shaft) is 116-0272-00, the upper pickup roller PN is 401-0813-01. The error codes posted earlier points to the solenoid assy. If you push the lever up to the solenoid and it's not sticking to the pad at all then it's probably ok.

Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back