Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Phaser 740 - Image Quality - Phantoms/smears 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackb86

Programmer
Jun 3, 2003
US
I have a Phaser 740, that I have replaced the toners, imaging unit, charge grid and fuser/fuser roll.

I am occasionally getting on glossy paper (including Tek 016-1704-00) phantom images. What I mean by phantom images are images that occurred earlier on the page being repeated (showing at 30%-70% density and the same percent fused) later on the page (see images: and
Please help, I am not sure what next to try. I thought it was the paper but after trying the recommended tek paper I see the same results.

It will be more prevalent if I get a multiple sheet feed (it successfully pulls more than 1 sheet through).

Thanks,

Jack

We were having a lot of problems with Ghosting and smearing on our Phaser 740. The Fuser still supposedly had 30% of its life left.

We discovered that the Cleaning pad which pulls out of the bottom of the fuser was caked with old toner and was solid black. When we checked into replacing this it was going for $60 or $70 which was ridiculous since it is just a piece of plastic with a strip of felt glued on. Although it is pretty much par for the course with this printer where all of the replacement parts are ridiculously priced.

Figuring I had nothing to lose I took a sharp knife and scraped all the used toner off of the pad until it was mostly white again. I inserted it back into the fuser and "Voila" no more ghosting or smears . . . at least so far.

its not the paper..Don't spend so much to tek paper.
I use first choice 24 ...it works great...Go to paper wholesaler that's where i get all my paper plus a lot of free samples

Thanks kevcbacon!

I just baught a used 740 Plus for a good price and I didn't know what to expect of it. Sadly, I was getting a lot of smears and a faded double of my image in the bottom of my pages, taking some toner out of my original image and fading it. Not knowing exactly what to do, I saw your post and took a look at the Cleaning Pad. As you described, it was REALLY black and dirty... almost glossy! So i took a sharp knife to scratch it off and then, cisors to cut a bit of the fuzz, put it all back and voilà, a perfect page at last!

I think it would be worth it to find the same type of felt, cut it to size and glue it to replace the old one...

Now if I could get those paper jams fixed! ;)

Hmmm... got happy to quick i think.

I printed two pages with a logo on it and both pages were perfect. I then wanted to print a final page with the logo twice as big, and I got a page with a faded double (ghost) in the bottom of the page.

And now, obviously, my testing is halted because I keep getting paper jams in A.

Any suggestions?

Only other thing I can think of is to make sure the printer is set for the type of paper being used,i.e glossy paper, due to fuser temp settings. That has been a problem in the past. Also check teh start up page and see if the eng firmware version is v24,this corrected a numer of bugs.

I'm using Xerox 24 lb 98 brightness Premium laser paper, so I don't think this is the problem.

About the firmware, I got OS 1.22, PS 3.78, Eng 17, Net 8.60... is that ok or can/should I uprade this?

I think I have now fixed my paper jam issues by cleaning the plastic clutch as described in another discussion. After putting the printer back together, I did a few prints and the ghosting has gone away again...

BUT, now I get a small patch of color scratches a bit more than 3/4 down the page, in the middle. Each color makes the same little pattern consistent on each page. Did I scratch something or mess up while handling something???

The eng 17 can be upgraded to eng 24, that is just a chip on the engine board. I may have one of those, you can email me about that. If the scratches are in each color then it may be on the imaging unit or the fuser. You can pull the fuser roller off and rotate the fuser gear and see if you see something on the rollers.

What are the reasons to upgrade the engine? In what aspects those this improve the printer?

Thanks!

Hi Marty5261,

I have been trying to upgrade the eng firmware on my 740 to version 24 but can't find a chip. Can you help please?

Thanks, James

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back