Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Phaser 340 - help required!! 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

onsite2001

IS-IT--Management
Dec 3, 2002
AU
I recently acquired this monstrous great beast on Ebay and am determined to get it going! At first it wouldn't get very far because there was no ink. This is hard to source in Australia so I bought the genuine 340 colorstix and had them shipped from the US (at great expense).

Startup was very dramatic with much grinding, clunking and whirring until the message finally came up saying 'melting ink'. [thumbsup] The printer then wanted to print a test page but wouldn't acknowledge the paper which was in the tray - reports it as empty. Using the manual option I did manage to get one test page (which looks great) but won't do anything else because I used 'A4' when it apparently was expecting 'letter' format paper.

After 45mins or so whilst I was trying to work out the media size issue, next thing I know, a message starts flashing saying 'ink low'... On checking, I am horrified to see that all the precious ink has melted into a big sludge pile in the collecting tray! [sadeyes] Can anyone suggest what is wrong?

I'm not game to put another lot in. The Xerox help site only suggests that the printer remain on at all times to ensure the best economy of the ink! The only thing I got from my ink was one test page - it's heartbreaking. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you [smile2]

PS: Can anyone can suggest a (dummy's) source where I might learn how to configure this printer to work over a network (Win 98). Everything I've read so far is way over my head!

#1) It is normal for the ink to be in the ink waste tray. After it goes through a cleaning cycle, it cleans it out of the ink jets and the face of the print head.

Everytime you turn in on it will do this, so keep it on and let it go into sleep cycle when not using it

#2) There is a tab on the right front side of the paper tray that tells it the paper size. Even though I have the tab/plastic clip in -- it still does that to me now and again. I need to find the trip lever that it sets off and see how it works.

#3) Do you need a mainteance manual on it?

Let me know if you need further help.

Thank you for taking the time to respond TMart1!

Re your answers;

#1 - I understand what you say, but is it normal to melt the entire 4 blocks of ink during the process? What capacity do the ink jets hold? This ink is really expensive, and I can't imagine such wastage is normal... The tray was empty on startup, but was almost filled to capacity by the end of the warm up. I'm sure it must be a heating fault.

#2 - The tab thingo on my lower tray keeps popping out! I'm still working on that problem. Do you know how to tell the manual feeder not to expect 'letter' format media?

#3 - I guess I do...

Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it.

#1 - These printers use a horrific amount of ink on startup. How many cleaning cycles did you run on it? Every third one does a really 'deep' clean. This really does munch throught the ink. We sat and worked it out at work based upon the amount of waste ink in the maintenance tray, and we figured it costs around $16 US just to switch one of these printers on.

#2 - The tab thing should be in the middle slot for A4 paper. As for US paper sizes I am afraid I didnt know. The levers that rest on these tabs are quite strong. Copious amounts of super-glue stopped mine popping out!

As for help installing the printer on a Win98 network. You need first to obtain the 'netutils' package from the xerox website. Its a set of postscript files that you edit to change the network settings on the printer. Once you have edited the settings, you print them to the printers parallel port to effect changes. There is a readme file included which should answer most of your questions. At the client end you need an LPR print utility as Win98 does not include it. ACITS is a good package to try, but it isnt free

Tmart1 I have been looking for a manual for the phaser 350 do you have access to one by any chance?

I have an 07,004,46 problem I am desperate to sort out

any chance you could help?

7,004.46 (0x3c04):pM_FAULT_DM_CAM_SENSOR_BAD
"No transitions are observed of the drum maintenance cam
sensor. The sensor may be bad or the drum maintenance cam
may be jammed."

Check around where the maintenance tray is lifted, make sure the tray is on and that theres nothing obvious wrong or blocking it from being lifted.. Let me know if you have no luck and I'll try and find out more..

Good luck mate.. Mark.

contact me about the phaser 340 or 350
I have the tech manuals and can help

TMArt79050@aol.com

God bless
Ted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back