Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Phase 740 Jamming at C 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

deejay33

IS-IT--Management
May 30, 2002
US
My company has a Phaser 740 that recieves a "Jam at C" about every three pages or so. Jam at C indicates a jam in the fuser. The pages are stopping as they are leaving the printer. Sometimes they are half way out of the printer when the page jams. I have replaced the fuser which was suggested to me from a Tektronix technician but that had no effect. Does any one have any suggestions on what to do next. Any help would be appreciated.

DeeJay33

Try moving the printer to a warmer room and see if that fixes the problem. See my prior post about what I saw!

We also have a Phaser 740L which jams at C constantly. We have also had jams at A and type 33 problems but now we have gotten to the point where every page jams coming out of the fuser with a "Jam at C" Notification.

We ordered a new Fuser and it has not made any difference. Any enlightenment from someone on this would be much appreciated. it is at the point where we will simply purchase a new Color Laserprinter (definitely not Tektronix/Xerox) because repair visits are too expensive.

Jam at C is usually an indication that the feed rollers need cleaning. Follow the instructions in the user manual.

Be sure to clean all the rollers, not just the one you think may be the problem,

if you are getting a jam at C and the paper is hanging half way out of the printer you are going to need to replace the tonerselector/paper ejector assembly. This is the door you open to install the toner cartridges.

Sorry I never got back on this one. Pirate 97 is right. I had to replace the door which the paper comes out of. I ordered the part from a printer repair company I work with and they sent me the scamatic for the assembly so I could do it my self. It wasn't difficult.

DeeJay33

I have a Tektronic Phaser 740 and have loved it for 2 years until the jams at "C" started. I replaced the fuser a few time with no success. After I read deejay33 and pirate97, to replace the tonerselector/paper ejector assembly, I knew this was the solution. Could you please give me the part number so I can order the assembly. thanks

Sorry for posting a semi-unrelated issue but this forum gets the most activity and I used it in the past to solve the 740 'clutch' problem.

I own a Phaser 740 with a new Fuser (98%). In removing paper jammed in the fuser, I accidentally created a small tear in the film of the top roller (not the fuser roll). Does anyone know if that film is available; or, the roller? I hate to buy another fuser for such a minor problem.

Thanks in advance.

I am sorry, but I believe that the top roller that you refer to is the fuser roller. If the tear is small enough so it doesn't effect the copy, go ahead and use that fuser. Otherwise, you will have to replace the whole fuser. If you do replace it, save the Fuser Roll, on top of the Fuser, it oils the roll to prevent paper sticking to the roll.

Any time there is a Jam at C. the first thing is to open the right hand door and see if the paper can be removed from there. If it is too far in to reach, try turning the big Blue knob on the Fuser clockwise. It may just roll the paper out. Don't crank on it to hard or it will just jam the paper against the fuser roller and then it is tough to get out.

Some times the fuser can be salvaged by partly dis-assembling the fuser by taking out the Fuser Roll and removing the sheet metal piece just above the bottom (Red) roll. That is the piece that is covered with a strip of black velvet and has a small Philips head screw on the right hand end.

Use a pair of small forceps and work the paper out carefully. If the jam is too bad you will ruin the red roll and the fuser will be useless, but it would have been useless otherwise so nothing has been lost but your time.

Hi the problem with the printer is the toner selector/paper ejector assembly. This is the door that you open to repalce the toner carts and the paper comes out. You will need to repalce it to clear up this jamming problem

Does anyone know the P/N and cost for the selector/paper ejector assembly? I am very interested in fixing the problem. I just replaced the clutch and thought that would solve the problem. Clearly the issue lies elseware. This sounds like the solution.

I looked up the info for you. We purchased the part from a company named Laser-Life Technologies. The website is Not sure if this is a Xerox PN or their PN but it says item No. 118-9897-02. We paid $510 for it but that was in 2002. My associate may still have the schematic but she will not be in until 3-9-04. If she has it I will let you know and then send it to you. I don't think we can post files here can we? If so that would be easier so others can get it too if they need it.

Just a warning, I don't know that it will fix your problem. I just know if fixed mine. Pirate 97 sounds fairly sure though.

DeeJay [deejay]

The Xerox part number for the Toner cartridge selector/paper eject unit is 118-9897-02. The Xerox price is $510 + S/H. I have a used unit in good condition which I will sell for $100 + S/H exchange (return of your part to me). Guaranteed not DOA.

Note however, that there may be other causes for your paper feed problem.

Please let me know if you are interest in my unit.

Thanks and good luck repairing your unit

Olfgeek, I would like to buy your replacement paper eject unit. How do I contact you? I need this ASAP.

You can reach me at:

SZTL1000@yahoo.com

I had success just by dismantling the door and locating a opto sensor aptly called "jam C" and replacing it.
I hope this helps.

I took it apart, and I saw other sensors, microswitches. Where was the "Jam at C" sensor? You say it is an optical sensor? Where did you get a replacement? Did you try just cleaning it first?

I followed the advice here but had a used 740 and just switched the entire door in a few minutes and it worked fine. It seemed a lot faster than disassembling the whole door.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back